• Friday, Jun 18, 2021
  • Last Update : 01:59 am

Rampal power plant bid deadline extended again, amid scant enthusiasm

  • Published at 07:08 pm July 8th, 2015

The company that is developing a controversial coal-fired power plant near the Sundarbans forest has extended its bid submission deadline a second time, because earlier invitations for bids have met with scant enthusiasm.

The Bangladesh-India Friendship Power Company Pvt Ltd (BIFPCL) extended, for the second time, the deadline to submit bids to set up the 2 x 660MW Maitree Super Coal-fired Thermal Power Project in Rampal on an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract basis.

The original May 18 deadline was extended to July 16 because the invitation for bids drew a poor response. Bids are now due by September 22.

The project, touted as a success of regional cooperation by the Bangladeshi and Indian governments, which each have a 15% stake in BIFPCL, has seen three French commercial banks and two major multi-laterals fight shy of any association with the project.

The World Bank and Asian Development Bank have declined to finance the project, so BIFPCL has decided to take Export Credit Agency (ECA) loans which involve high interest rates.

Three French banks said they would not invest in the plant, after it was found that the proposed project failed to meet minimum environmental and social standards.

On July 6, a notice singed by BIFPCL Managing Director U K Bhattacharya announced the extension.

“Only six international bidders have so far bought tender documents more than five months after the tender period opened. They have sought an extension to prepare and submit their techno-commercial and financial bid proposals,” U K Bhattacharya told the Dhaka Tribune yesterday.

He said representatives of companies from China, Japan, India, Spain and South Korea discussed and sought explanations and clarifications on the financial aspects of the project.

On February 12, BIFPCL invited bids to set up the plant.

BIFPCL is a joint venture between Bangladesh’s Power Development Board and India’s National Thermal Power Corporation, who have 30% equity on an equal share basis. The remaining 70% will be mobilised as Export Credit Agency loans.

Environmentalists, left-wing political organisations and the National Committee to Protect Oil, Gas, Mineral Resources, Power and Ports, a lobby group, have long demanded that the project be scrapped to protect the Sundarbans, a Unesco world heritage site.

Unesco has asked the government to relocate the power project to protect the forest, saying it would otherwise be moved to the List of World Heritage in Danger.

The government denies the power plant will harm the Sundarbans. 

50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail