• Wednesday, Sep 26, 2018
  • Last Update : 02:18 am

Three injured in gas leak in capital

  • Published at 07:32 pm November 7th, 2014

A young man and two of his students sustained burn injuries in a suspected gas leak at a house in the Ulan area in Rampura of the capital yesterday. 

The injured are Ashraful Islam, 24, and his students Tanzina Akther Shila, 13, and Ashrafi Akther, 8, students of class 8 and class 2 of Khaleda Memorial High School respectively.

They are under treatment at the burn and plastic surgery unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). 

Ashraful Islam, a second year student of Titumir College and a part time teacher at Khaleda Memorial High School, said Shila and Ashrafi were his neighbours who came to him for private tuition. Around 4pm yesterday the two of them came to his house. Shila found a box of matches and lit a match; there was an explosion instantly. 

“The blast might have occurred from a gas leak because before Shila struck the match we sensed a strong odor in the room,” said Asharful. 

“We are yet to ascertain how much burn injuries their bodies sustained, but the respiratory systems have been damaged,” Dr Partha Shankar Pal, residential surgeon at the DMCH burn and plastic surgery unit told the Dhaka Tribune.

Rampura Sub-Inspector Murad Hossain Milon said police are yet to find the cause behind the fire.