• Sunday, Dec 16, 2018
  • Last Update : 04:20 am

CID prepares charge sheets against eight public servants

  • Published at 07:48 pm November 6th, 2014

The Criminal Investigation Department finalised two separate charge sheets against eight public servants in the cases filed over the deadly Rana plaza collapse.

The CID, however, has not been able to submit as it is yet receive any go-ahead clearance from the government.

The eight-storey Rana Plaza that housed five garment factories, a shopping complex and a branch of Brac Bank, collapsed on April 24 last year in Savar on the outskirts of the capital that left at least 1,135 people dead and scores maimed. 

According to the court source, the CID finalised a charge sheet against 42 people including 13 government officials in a case filed under the penal code another another against 17 people including seven government officials in a case filed under the building construction act.

As per the section 197 of Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) CID Assistant Superintendent Bijoy Krishna Khar, also investigation officer of the cases, sent a letter to the relevant ministries seeking permission to include 20 government officials in the charge sheets.

The investigation officer got clearance for 12 accused but he is yet to receive reports on the remaining eight including former executive officer of Savar Municipalty Uttam Kumar Roy, Building Inspector Md Awlad Hossain and Kabir Hossain Sardar, ex-executive officer of Savar Upazila.

Additional public prosecutor of Dhaka Chief Judicial Magistrate Court Anwarul Kabir Babul told the Dhaka Tribune: “Although the CID finalised the charge sheets they cannot submit it as it is yet to receive permission from the government.”

Meanwhile, Dhaka Senior Judicial Magistrate Afroza Sheuli yesterday again asked CID to submit the charge sheets by December 24.

The court also directed the investigation officer to submit a progress report within seven working days.

On September 15, the investigation officer submitted two separate progress reports before the court in this connection.

According to progress reports the investigators found a total of 59 people responsible for the country’s deadliest industrial disaster and are likely to submit two separate charge sheets before the court.

In the case filed under penal code act, the CID investigators have collected statements of 952 witnesses and victims of the incidence and the statements of necessary witnesses were recorded under section 161 of the penal code act.

The progress report on the case filed under the building construction act stated that CID collected statements of 165 people and the witnesses statements were recorded under section 161 of CrPC.

Investigation Officer Bijoy Krishna Khar earlier said: “We would submit the charges sheets shortly after we get clearance for the government officials from the ministry.”

A sourced involved in the investigation process said Rana Plaza owner, owners of the garment factories housed in the building, some officials and engineers of Savar Municipality and the Department of Inspection of Factories and Establishment have been found to be responsible for Rana Plaza collapse and the loss of lives.

Sohel Rana and the garment factories forced the staff and workers of the factories to work inside the building even after cracks were found in the structure.

A total of 22 people were arrested in connection with three cases filed over the Rana Plaza tragedy and 14 of them, including Rana’s father Abdul Khalek, were released on bail.

Rajuk official Helal Uddin filed a case against Sohel Rana for structural faults found at Rana Plaza and for constructing the building with substandard materials and violating act.

Another case was filed by Sub-Inspector Wali Ashraf of Savar Police Station against Rana, his father Abdul Khalek and owners of five apparel factories housed in the nine-storey building for the loss of lives.