• Tuesday, Nov 19, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:46 pm

Delay in execution reports stalls Tazreen trial

  • Published at 06:12 pm September 6th, 2014

The trial of the case filed over the devastating fire at Tazreen Fashions in 2012 that killed 112 workers is yet to begin as execution reports on four fugitive accused are yet to reach the court.

Police, however, said they had already sent the reports.

Washim Sheikh, senior judicial magistrate of Dhaka, issued arrest warrants against the fugitive accused on December 31 last year and asked police to submit execution reports.

Earlier on December 22, 2012, investigating officer KM Mohosinuzzaman Khan submitted the charge sheet to the Dhaka Chief Judicial Magistrate Court accusing the Tazreen chairman, the managing director and 11 others.

Soon after the incident, four chargesheeted accused – engineer M Mahbubul Morshed, Production Manager Mobarak Hossain Manju, Factory Manager Abdur Razzak and Quality Manager Sahiduzzaman - went into hiding and their whereabouts still remain unknown.

Anowar Kabir Babul, public prosecutor of the court, told the Dhaka Tribune the court was awaiting the execution reports.

The trial will begin soon after the reports arrive, he said. 

“The charge sheet of the case has already been submitted and I do not think police need too much time to provide the execution reports. They just need to be more cooperative and responsible,” he added. 

Of the four fugitives, Morshed’s permanent address in Naogaon is under Bodolgashi police station. Its officer-in-charge Azizul Islam told the Dhaka Tribune the execution report had been sent and should reach soon. 

Razzak’s permanent residence in Jamalpur is under Melamandha police station, and officer-in-charge of the police station Nashimul Islam said the report had been sent.

“I do not know why it is yet to be received,” he said. 

S Alam, officer-in-charge of Isharganj police station in Mymensingh where Manju’s village home is located, said: “We have sent the report but if the court has not received it then we can resend it, provided the court orders another copy.”

Fazlul Karim, officer-in-charge of Mymensingh sadar police station, said the same about the report on Shahiduzzman.

Mohammad Sohel, general recording officer and sub-inspector at Dhaka Metropolitan Court, said the trial would begin after the reports were received.

On November 24, 2012, a fire broke out at Tazreen Fashions at Nischintapur of Ashulia, leaving 112 workers dead. Khairul Islam, sub-inspector of Ashulia police station, filed a case against some unidentified people the following day.