• Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019
  • Last Update : 02:08 am

Ashulia RMG workers unrest continues

  • Published at 08:22 pm August 12th, 2014

The workers of ready-made garment (RMG) factory Yagi Bangladesh Garments Ltd, located in the capital’s Ashulia area, continued their demonstration protesting worker layoffs for the second day yesterday, our Savar correspondent reports.

Sources among the workers and police said the workers carried on their work abstention and demonstrated in protest of both the factory authorities’ reluctance to pay wages and the sudden layoff of 26 workers on Monday.

The wage was supposed to be paid on Sunday, but the authorities were unable to do so, said the sources.

However, what fuelled the fire was the notice announcing the termination of employment of 26 workers, seeing which the workers halted the production at the factory and imposed work abstention on Monday morning.

Mostafizur Rahman, director of Ashulia Industrial Police, confirmed the workers’ unrest and said additional police troops had been deployed to avoid any untoward incidents.

Meanwhile, police rescued the missing RMG worker of Gazipur-based Multifab Ltd, Mehedi Hasan, from the city’s Chowrasta area early yesterday, our Gazipur correspondent reports.

Nazmul Huda, sub-inspector at Joydebpur police station, said after Mehedi’s father filed a general diary with the police station regarding his son’s disappearance, police and family members started searching for him at different places.

Around 2:30am yesterday, police found Mehedi at a bus stop near Joydebpur Chowrasta, waiting for transport, the sub-inspector said.

Police did not disclose further information about the case as it was still under investigation.

It is worth mentioning that Mehedi’s disappearance spurred unrest among his colleagues at the factory who stopped production and staged a demonstration demanding to find his whereabouts.

They also engaged in a clash with police when the law enforcers intervened, causing the factory authorities to shut down the factory for the day.

Bibhuti Heera, administrative officer at Multifab, said the factory would resume operations today.