Many international companies have not contributed to the trust fund for supporting the victims of the Rana Plaza collapse, the Human Rights Watch has said.
At least 15 companies, which sourced from the factories in Rana Plaza, based in the United States and Europe are in this list prepared by HRW, the report said on Wednesday.
“Survivors of the Rana Plaza collapse are still suffering from their injuries and loss of income,” the report, prepared on the eve of one-year of the incident, said.
“One year after Rana Plaza collapsed, far too many victims and their families are at serious risk of destitution,” deputy Asia director of HRW Phil Robertson said.
“International garment brands should be helping the injured and the dependents of dead workers who manufactured their clothes,” he said.
There are 15 brands, whose clothing and labels were found in the Rana Plaza rubble, who did not pay for the $15m fund raised so far.
These 15 brands include Ascena Retail, The Cato Corporation, JC Penney from the US, and Adler Modemarkte, Auchan, Benetton, Carrefour, Grabalok/Store Twenty One, Guldenpfenning, Kids for Fashion, Matalan, NKD Deutchland GmbH, PWT and Yes Zee from UK and Europe.
“The Rana Plaza disaster showed the failure of proper oversight over factories manufacturing clothes for international garment brands,” Robertson said.
On April 24 last year, Rana Plaza collapsed burying over 1,100 garment workers and injuring over 2,500 others, what was the worst such incident in history.
Workers are said to have refused to work on the day of the collapse as they complained of cracks in the building's structure, however they were forced into working.