• Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021
  • Last Update : 02:26 am

Woman dies 10 days after chemical attack

  • Published at 06:45 pm August 15th, 2013
Woman dies 10 days after chemical attack

A woman who suffered serious chemical burns, following an alleged attack by her husband, succumbed to her injuries thursday after fighting for life for 10 days at a city hospital.

Suraiya Akhter, 25, of Raipura upazila in Narsingdi, died while on life support at the burns unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), sources said.

Police and family members of the victim said Suraiya’s estranged husband, Ramiz Uddin, reportedly poured liquid chemical all over her body after drugging her with a spiked soft drink on August 5.

Suraiya, daughter of Adam Ali and Rokeya Begum, was married off to Ramiz, of Manikganj, in 2001. But after only two years of marriage, Ramiz, who ran a small scrap gold business in Tongi, abandoned her. The couple has a young son.

“We found Ramiz had another wife and children when we searched for him after he stopped supporting my daughter two years into the marriage,” Rokeya said. Suraiya had planned to divorce him but changed her mind thinking of her child, she added.

Instead, she took out a bank loan, and with the help of a relative, went to Dubai for work. She returned six months ago, and built a one-storey house at Raipura to live with her son.

“Ramiz heard the news and reappeared. He tried to rebuild a relationship with my daughter to grab the money she earned in Dubai, but Suraiya kept avoiding him. He then started to threaten her, saying he would douse her with acid if she refused to give him a portion of her savings,” Rokeya said.

“On August 4, Ramiz went to Suraiya’s house, but she would not let him in. At on stage, he got some cold drinks and asked their son to share with his mother,” she said.

“Suraiya did not realise that Ramiz had brought the drinks. She drank some, and fell asleep. The cold drink was mixed with sedatives,”

Rokeya claimed. “Ramiz then entered the house and poured some chemicals on my daughter when she was sleeping.”

Ramiz fled the house, locking the door from the outside. Hearing Suraiya’s screams, neighbours took her to a local hospital. She was later shifted to the DMCH.

Doctors at the burns unit said Suraiya sustained chemical burns over almost 85% of her body.

Raipura police filed a case. “We heard that Ramiz contacted Suraiya’s mother after the incident,” the investigating officer of the case, Sub-inspector Rupan Kumar Sarkar, said.  

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail