• Sunday, Jun 20, 2021
  • Last Update : 07:00 pm

77 new insurers apply for licence

  • Published at 05:01 am May 16th, 2013
77 new insurers apply for licence

The Insurance Development and Regulatory Authority (IDRA) has received 77 applications for registration of new insurance companies as deadline for submission of application ended yesterday.

Of them, 71 are life insurance and the remaining six are non-life insurance companies.

The government may issue licences to 10 new life insurers. Currently, there are 18 life insurance companies operating in the country making nearly a total of Tk60bn as annual turnover.

A total of 60 companies including a foreign entity Alico are running insurance business in the country.

On last day of application submission, IDRA received 57 applications.

Earlier, the insurance regulator extended the deadline three times.

Among the firms seeking registration, there are two foreign companies- Life Insurance Corporation of India jointly with local Square Group and Taiyo of Japan jointly with local Summit Group have submitted applications.

An official said they would start scrutiny of the applications from today as they have to report in next 40 days.

IDRA invited applications for registration of new insurance companies on February 20 this year.

Although the deadline was extended three times, yesterday there was rumour that the deadline might be deferred again.

The IDRA officials, therefore, faced a severe pressure till 6pm as most of the applications came in the late afternoon.

Each applicant had to deposit Tk180m in bank to avail of licence and pay non-refundable Tk500,000 as processing fee.

According to the 21 provisions of Insurance Act, the entrepreneurs will submit their respective part of paid-up capital free of liability to any scheduled bank in the company’s name. The deposit will be liability-free.

As the new Insurance Act, the paid-up capital of life insurance is Tk300m and non-life insurance is Tk400m. Further, 60% of the capital will be collected from sponsors and the remaining 40% from public.

Moreover, Brac, Square and Apex Group jointly submitted application for licence while the Armed Forces has applied for license for the company named `Shenakollyan Life Insurance’.

M. Shefaq Ahmed, Chairman of IDRA, said: “The regulator will decide who are eligible for licence. Lobbying is not allowed.”

50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail