The Savar Rana Plaza tragedy reaches its nadir with the death toll rising along with the number of the injured.
So far 2,420 wounded people have been rescued and 350 bodies recovered from the rubble. Of the bodies, 317 were handed over to their families.
ISPR director Shahinur Islam confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune.
Our reporter at the spot, Samiul Bashar Anik, said four dead bodies were pulled out from the debris today.
However, many more are feared trapped in the collapsed building.
The exact number of those caught in the rubble could not be determined yet as efforts to recover the bodies of the victims have been hampered by a lack of adequate emergency lighting, the gathering of wailing relatives and the presence of enormous boulders.
Besides, inadequate equipment and inexperience in facing such a catastrophe further hinder the rescue operation that has continued day and night.
Tens of thousands of people crowd around the rubble, weeping and searching for family members.
Workers trapped in the wreckage of the collapsed building cried out for help yesterday as rescuers struggled to reach them.
Quoting trapped people, a local rescuer Mehedi said: “We want to live. Take us out of the wreckage, [even if it means] cutting off our legs and hands.”
He said at least 60 people were trapped inside there.
“I talked to them and touched their hands through a hole. Their hands and legs were under the debris,” said the rescuer.
Five or six of them were pulled out by cutting their hands or legs, sandwiched between sections or rubble of the collapsed building. They were rushed to Gonoshasto Hospital, Savar.
“From Saturday, we will use cranes and other heavy machinery to remove the boulders,” ISPR Director General Shahinur Islam said yesterday.