Police captured a 19-year-old man on Friday night suspected of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombings with his older brother after a day-long manhunt using helicopters and heavily armed officers in a Boston suburb.
The Boston Police Department said on Twitter & later in a press conference that the suspect was in custody and officers were sweeping the area. Authorities identified him earlier as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, one of two brothers believed to have carried out Monday's attack at the world-famous event, killing three people and injuring 176.
Police cars and armoured vehicles surrounded a house in Watertown on Friday night shortly after police told a news conference that the suspect fled on foot and was still on the loose.
The apparent break in the investigation came after an intense manhunt that virtually closed the city of Boston.
Monday's bombing on the finish line of the marathon was described by President Barack Obama as “an act of terrorism.” It was the worst such attack on U.S. soil since the plane hijackings of September 11, 2001.
Images showed that the three-story house where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught had a tarp-covered boat parked on a trailer in the backyard.
Earlier on Friday, Colonel Timothy Alben told a news conference that officers went door-to-door in Watertown and searched houses.
During the search for the men on Friday, two Black Hawk helicopters circled the area. SWAT teams moved through in formation, leaving an officer behind to ensure that searched homes remained secure, a law enforcement official said.