• Saturday, Jul 04, 2020
  • Last Update : 03:06 am

US Open fate to be decided in June, say organizers

  • Published at 07:15 pm April 17th, 2020
US Open

United States Tennis Association chief executive Mike Dowse said nothing "is off the table" and a final decision on the fate of the event would come in June but having fans attend the event is still their goal

US Open organizers said on Thursday they are planning for the Grand Slam event to go ahead as scheduled and that an event without spectators is "highly unlikely". 

United States Tennis Association chief executive Mike Dowse said nothing "is off the table" and a final decision on the fate of the event would come in June but having fans attend the event is still their goal.

"Playing without spectators, we are not taking anything off the table. But right now that's a highly unlikely scenario," said Dowse. 

"That's not in the spirit of celebration of tennis." 

Dowse's comments come as the National Tennis center's indoor courts in New York were being used as a makeshift hospital facility to treat those affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

While the indoor tennis courts have been turned into a hospital zone, the Louis Armstrong Stadium has been transformed into a meal assembly area for patients, volunteers and area schoolkids.

New York remains the hardest-hit area in America with over 31,000 dead, including 10,800 in New York City. 

More than 640,000 Americans have been infected with Covid-19.

Dowse said they are in contact with a half dozen doctors and are going to be seeking their advice in making the next moves.

"We're very fortunate that we're the fourth Grand Slam to go, so time is on our side at this point," Dowse said. "Obviously our ambition is to run the tournament. 

"Having said that, it won't be the driving factor. The driving factor will be the health and well being of the players, the fans and our staff."

Dowse said they have some time to seek the advice of medical experts before they make their final decision.

"We are looking at time frame of June to make that decision. We will approach it through a medical advisory group. We have five or six doctors we are consulting with. Based on that  information we will make the decision if it is safe to play the tournament or not," he said.

The US Open is now the next major tournament on the schedule from August 31-September 13, with Wimbledon having been cancelled and the French Open postponed to a September 20 start on the red clay in Paris.

52
50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail