Simona Halep has reclaimed the world number one ranking from Australian Open champion Caroline Wozniacki, despite pulling out of last week's Dubai Championships due to a foot injury.
Wozniacki, who was defending more points, was also absent in the United Arab Emirates. Halep is now over 400 points clear of the second-placed Dane.
Garbine Muguruza is third after reaching the semi-finals in Dubai. Dubai champion Elina Svitolina, from Ukraine, remains fourth.
WTA rankings on February 26
1. Simona Halep (ROM) 7,965 pts (+1)
2. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 7,525 (-1)
3. Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) 6,175
4. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,480
5. Karolína Plíšková (CZE) 5,080