• Wednesday, Apr 01, 2020
  • Last Update : 10:53 pm

Brothers reach semis, oust Arambagh in thriller

  • Published at 09:38 pm December 11th, 2018
independent cup
Action from the Independence Cup quarter-final between Brothers and Arambagh in Dhaka Tuesday BFF

After the 30-minute extra-time ended goalless, the Gopibagh outfit prevailed 4-3 in the tie-breaker

A 10-man Brothers Union reached the semi-final of a professional football tournament for the first time in nine years after beating holder Arambagh Krira Sangha in a thrilling encounter in the first quarter-final of the Walton Independence Cup 2018-19 season at Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka Tuesday.

The last time Brothers reached the semis of a professional tournament was back in 2009 at the Super Cup.

Young captain Rabiul Hasan shone for Arambagh with two brilliant strikes and an assist, but three-star Brothers also fought bravely as stipulated time ended with the score locked at 3-3. 

After the 30-minute extra-time ended goalless, the Gopibagh outfit prevailed 4-3 in the tie-breaker.  

Brazilian forward Lima Leonardo, Mannaf Rabby and Panama’s Jack Daniels Agullar netted one apiece for Brothers, while Paul Emile added the other for Arambagh.

Both the sides finished the game with 10 men. 

Brothers’ one came in the 78th minute when Agullar pulled off his jersey to celebrate his goal, and subsequently received his second yellow card, while substitute Sarwar Jamal Nipu saw a straight red card in the 118th minute.

Earlier, it turned out to be an eye-catching encounter with a series of attacks from both the sides. 

Maruful Haque missed the service of his strong Uzbek defender Iqbaljon Normatovich due to injury, but the attacking front led by Emile, Chindedu Mathew, Arifur and Rabiul began the game brightly.

Rabiul’s opening goal in the 14th minute came with a stunning volley after brilliant work by Emile through the left side. 

His second goal in the 54th minute was a top-notch screamer from outside the box after Emile’s flick.

Brothers’ full-back Shafiqul Islam Shafi left a notable influence from the left flank as one of his crosses was connected by Lima in the 44th minute, before Mannaf volleyed home in the 65th minute.

Agullar took the lead for Brothers for the first time in the 77th minute with a spectacular strike from 25 yards that crashed into the top right corner. 

Emile added more drama by heading home a Rabiul corner to make things all square again in the 85th minute.

Arambagh were ahead of Brothers in the extra 30 minutes in terms of both stamina and creating chances, but they lacked the finishing touch that eventually cost them the game.

Arambagh goalkeeper Mazharul Islam Himel made a diving save to deny Brothers’ first effort by Lima in the penalty shootout, while Rokey hit the sidepost to miss Arambagh’s first penalty. 

Mannaf, Ashraful, Khalid and Tara converted their chances for Brothers, while Rabiul and Mathew missed Arambagh’s opportunities.

Maruful blamed inexperience, immaturity, the missed chances and lack of consistency for the defeat, while India coach Syed Naeemuddin credited his side’s fighting spirit for the win.

Brothers will play the first semi-final next Wednesday, against the winner of the second quarter-final between Chittagong Abahani Limited and Sheikh Russel Krira Chakra Wednesday.


Brothers 3 (Vieira 43, Rabbi 65, Daniel 78) 3 Arambagh (Rabiul 14, 54, Paul 86)

Brothers won 4-3 on penalties.

Wednesday's MATCH

Ctg Abahani v Sk Russel, 4:30pm

The game will be held at BNS, Dhaka