Martins has been capped 19 times for Portugal and was part of their squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, appearing as a substitute in the 1-0 win over Morocco
Portugal winger Gelson Martins has signed for Atletico Madrid as a free agent, the Spanish side said on Wednesday.
"Our club has reached an agreement with Gelson Martins, making him a new Atletico player," said a statement from last season's La Liga runners-up.
OFFICIAL: Gelson Martins joins Atletico Madrid on a six-year deal 🔴⚪ pic.twitter.com/jOf5J6AGsk— B/R Football (@brfootball) July 25, 2018
"The Portuguese attacker, who arrives as a free agent, has signed for six seasons."
Martins rescinded his contract with Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon last month, one of nine players to quit the club after an attack in May on a training camp by hooded supporters, some armed with sticks, in which Dutch forward Bas Dost was injured and the dressing room was vandalised.
Gelson Martins, one of the many players to tear up their contracts at Sporting, has signed a six-year deal at Atletico Madrid.— UNILAD Football (@UNILADFooty) July 25, 2018
Not bad business, picking up a £40m rated winger for free 😳 pic.twitter.com/rPfFcHB22f
The incidents came at the end of a tumultuous campaign for Sporting who finished third in the Primeira Liga and reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League.
Martins has been capped 19 times for Portugal and was part of their squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, appearing as a substitute in the 1-0 win over Morocco.
OFFICIAL: Gelson Martins has completed a move to Atletico Madrid on a free transfer.— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) July 25, 2018
Only Yacine Brahimi has completed more dribbles over the last two Liga NOS seasons combined (154).
Full story -- https://t.co/ZF3b6G7iEn pic.twitter.com/kMk3zIazGR
Martins, 23, is Atletico's fifth signing of the close season, following the acquisitions of Thomas Lemar from AS Monaco, Rodri from Villarreal, Jonny Castro from Celta Vigo and Antonio Adan from Real Betis.