Left-arm all-rounder Shakib got picked by Indian Premier League T20 franchise Kolkata Knight Riders for the upcoming season of the tournament and Shakib’s decision to play the money-spinning tournament by skipping the Test series between Bangladesh and hosts Sri Lanka in April shook the cricket arena of the country
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hasan is not embarrassed but sad about Shakib Al Hasan’s decision of playing overseas franchise league instead of Test cricket for Bangladesh.
Left-arm all-rounder Shakib got picked by Indian Premier League T20 franchise Kolkata Knight Riders for the upcoming season of the tournament and Shakib’s decision to play the money-spinning tournament by skipping the Test series between Bangladesh and hosts Sri Lanka in April shook the cricket arena of the country.
BCB in such unique situation came rather lenient allowing not only Shakib but with the decision of allowing all cricketers open to make the choice. BCB chief Nazmul following an unofficial meeting with other influential personnel of the board on Monday said the board will soon come with a new format of central contract where the cricketers can chose the format they are interested to play for the country.
“There is nothing to be embarrassed (regarding Shakib’s decision) but if you ask me I am sad. Look, we have invested a lot for players and I don’t know whether you people have any idea about how much the board invested on these players over the past 15 years or so,” said Nazmul to the media on Monday.
“After the team loses two Test matches in such manner against West Indies and not just these two we also had to lost against Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and then against West Indies. I expected the players would come to me and assure me that they are going to make a comeback in the upcoming matches. But in this situation if someone says he is not going to play Tests and instead play other franchise leagues then I have nothing to say,” the BCB boss added.
Nazmul while the interaction revealed the occasion was not the first a national cricketer had approached the board for a No Objection Certificate to play in franchise league despite having national commitment. But the board for the first time came with the decision to not force anyone play for the country if not willing.
“I can’t deny the fact and it’s not that such thing didn’t happen in the past but now our mind is very clear. We are not going to force anyone and those who are not interested to play they won’t play. Nobody is indispensable.
“We want all to play but if someone likes to play in other leagues ahead of the national team then they are free to go. This message is for all cricketers and not just only for Shakib. The message is for everyone. In fact we (BCB) have discussed about it and we are going for a contract. As we are yet to renew the central contract for this year we are going to add a few new things in this contract where it will be mentioned that who wants to play which format and the players need to mention that. And the players must know if there is any other league during the national team commitment or not. If the players sign the contract then we won’t allow them to play in other leagues if it clashes with national team schedule. Now it is open as previously it was based on the individual and now we are making it a contract,” explained Nazmul.
“We could have forced Shakib to play Test matches but we don’t want this anymore. We want those who actually love this game should play. If you have noticed Shakib didn’t want to play Test cricket three years back. He didn’t show any interest in Test cricket and we even made him the captain and forced him but you can’t force anyone to play. If we know who are the players not willing to play Test cricket then we must look for the substitutes. It may take one year or more but we will get some players for the future,” concluded the BCB boss.