Although the opening day for the T20 tournament has been declared by BCB president Nazmul Hassan, it is understood that the BCB has enormous work left to arrange the tournament that will involve at least five teams
Bangladesh Cricket Board [BCB] is mulling to start the planned T20 tournament from November 15. The tournament is part of BCB’s plan to get cricket back in the country which had started by holding the just concluded three-team BCB President’s Cup 50-over tournament. Mahmudullah XI emerged as the champions of the tournament defeating Najmul XI in the final of the tournament at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium on Sunday.
Although the opening day for the T20 tournament has been declared by BCB president Nazmul Hassan, it is understood that the BCB has enormous work left to arrange the tournament that will involve at least five teams. The board is said to have approached a number of business houses that have been involved in Bangladesh Premier League T20 to be part of the T20 tournament. The discussion however had a small development.
“We are planning to arrange a five-team T20 tournament in the next stage as we already have completed a three-team tournament [BCB President’s Cup]. So far, we have decided that only the local players will take part in the T20 tournament as it will get more local players to play. It’s challenging as many are recommending the work that will need to be put in arraigning a tournament at this scale will be tough amid Covid-19 but we are up for the challenge. We are hoping the tournament to start from November 15 and we will give the Expression of Interest to the interested companies willing to sponsor the teams,” said BCB president Nazmul to the media on Sunday.
Nazmul claimed the board is looking to get new business houses the opportunity to be part of cricket and thus, “The teams will have business houses representing as sponsors. We have already found many companies interested and most of them are new, those who do not get to be part of BPL T20.”
Cricket in the country had remained suspended since mid-March this year. In August, the board allowed cricketers to return to the practice facilities for individual training and then as a team with tour of Sri Lanka in place. The tour to the island country however got postponed of indefinite period due to the difference between the two boards about the quarantine rules. BCB not wasting time came with the plan to hold the President’s Cup which has now ended successfully.
“It was a big challenge, to return the cricket again as there were concerns, if any player could get infected by the corona virus then who will take the responsibility? For that we tried to make this tournament full-proof maintaining the bio-bubble. The reason for this was to know whether we could bring the international cricket back in Bangladesh or even tour abroad. We have to follow the same procedure as the health safety will remain everywhere and this tournament will help the cricketers to adapt. The players had a tough time as they were unable to move from their floors in the hotel and the coaching staff also followed the same,” Nazmul told the media on Sunday.