As per the ICC Future Tours Program, Bangladesh are scheduled to tour Pakistan later this month for three T20Is and two Test matches
The tour of Pakistan by the Bangladesh national cricket team is still in limbo and the players are in real jeopardy as the time to take enough preparation for the endeavor is running out.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board is scheduled to hold its first board meeting of the year Sunday, and the decision regarding the tour will be on top of their agenda.
However, it cannot be ascertained if a decision will finally come from the BCB, as they are yet to reach consensus with the Pakistan Cricket Board on the issue.
Dhaka Tribune understands that the BCB is likely to share its final thoughts over the tour and provide PCB the role of making a final announcement.
As per the ICC Future Tours Program, Bangladesh are scheduled to tour Pakistan later this month for three T20Is and two Test matches.
The tour has been in jeopardy after the BCB raised concerns over having a long stay in Pakistan and proposed to play only the T20I series on Pakistan soil and asked for the Test series to be held at a neutral venue.
Following a series of communication between BCB and PCB, the latter had offered to play the Test series and reschedule the T20I matches ahead of the ICC World T20I 2020 later this year.
The BCB’s concern over security in Pakistan were raised again following a bomb blast, claimed by ISIS, that killed at least 15 at a mosque in Quetta, Pakistan Friday.
It is understood that a part of the board is also closely observing the recent crisis in the Middle East, following the death of Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Major General Qasem Soleimani.
With the board lingering over the decision, Bangladesh cricketers are finding it difficult plan, especially with the uncertainty over the length of stay.
The majority of the cricketers have signed a government order giving their consent for the tour.
The @BCBtigers Bangladesh Cricket Board has begun taking consent from cricketers for the upcoming tour of @TheRealPCB scheduled for January-February.https://t.co/ljp5IpmkhB#BCBTIGERS #BCB #TIGERS #BANGLADESH #CRICKET #BANGLADESHCRICKET #PAKISTAN #PCB #PAKISTANCRICKET— Dhaka Tribune Sports (@Sport_DT) January 7, 2020
According to BCB chief Nazmul Hasan, the greater part of the group are reluctant to tour Pakistan for a longer period and they will miss the services of most of their foreign coaches on the tour, as they are not ready to visit Pakistan.
Wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim is among the players who have shown zero interest in being part of the Bangladesh contingent to Pakistan.
“We are confused about the tour of Pakistan and it is quite disturbing, considering we need to take some individual preparation ahead of any tour. While we remain confused, our family members are completely in the dark about it and this uncertainty is making them worried, considering their [Pakistan’s] reputation regarding security,’’ a national cricketer said Saturday, asking to remain anonymous.
“It would be better if we can have a clear picture, as that will help us remove all the uncertainties surrounding our travel plan,” the cricketer added.
BCB director and media and communications committee chairman Jalal Younus admitted they are aware that time is running out as far as taking a final decision on the Pakistan tour is concerned.
@BCBtigers Bangladesh Cricket Board will come to a decision over the national team’s tour of @TheRealPCB Pakistan by Thursday.https://t.co/x7QaYWIl3A#BCBTIGERS #BCB #TIGERS #BANGLADESHCRICKET #BANGLADESH #CRICKET #PAKISTAN #PCB #PAKISTANCRICKET #PAKISTANCRICKETTEAM— Dhaka Tribune Sports (@Sport_DT) January 8, 2020
He is optimistic of coming up with something to end the uncertainties involving the series.
“We will discuss the Pakistan series [Sunday]. There are different proposals coming [from Pakistan] as well as going from here [BCB]. We are planning to tour for a short period and to take a decision [on the remaining part of the series] after returning,” Jalal told the media Saturday.
“We wanted to play three T20Is and the Tests later. But they are not agreeing with that. They want to play the Tests first. We have not taken any decision yet. We will discuss everything with the BCB president in the board meeting. We will inform the PCB about the final decision from there,” he added.