• Thursday, Apr 09, 2020
  • Last Update : 10:22 am

NZC apologizes to Archer

  • Published at 06:50 pm November 26th, 2019
Jofra

The England and New Zealand cricket boards both launched investigations on Monday after Archer reported racial abuse from a spectator to ground stewards at Bay Oval

New Zealand Cricket chief David White visited England's Jofra Archer in his hotel yesterday to apologize for the racial abuse the fast bowler said he was subjected to in the first Test match at Bay Oval in Mount Maunganui.

The England and New Zealand cricket boards both launched investigations on Monday after Archer reported racial abuse from a spectator to ground stewards at Bay Oval.

White said he had offered assurances to Archer that there would be extra security to ensure there was no repeat when the second and final Test started in Hamilton Friday.

Archer, who was born in Barbados and represented West Indies at U-19 level, scored 30 runs Monday to delay New Zealand's innings and 65-run victory in the first Test.

The 24-year-old then took to Twitter to say he had found it "a bit disturbing" to hear the racial insults coming from one person in the crowd.

White said, if identified, the alleged perpetrator would be referred to the police and NZC would push for the person to be banned for life from attending cricket matches. 

New Zealand captain Kane Williamson, who lives close to the Bay Oval ground, said he would also seek out Archer to offer an apology.

England team director Ashley Giles said the 24-year-old paceman had been affected by the incident but thought his team mates would offer him plenty of support.