The right-handed batter has been a problem child for the board in the recent and distant past
The BCB disciplinary committee has proposed a six-month international cricket ban for batsman Sabbir Rahman. The right-handed batter has been a problem child for the board in the recent and distant past.
In January this year, Sabbir was slammed with a six-month ban from domestic cricket, stripped off from central contract and was fined Tk2m after he was found guilty of beating up a fan during a first-class game.
While serving the ban, Sabbir was accused of being involved in a fight with a team mate in the dressing room during the T20I series against Afghanistan in Dehradin, India in April. In just the third month since the completion of the ban, Sabbir put himself in trouble yet again.
Sabbir’s recent troubles saw him get axed from the Bangladesh ODI team. His international suspension will end in February next year. He will thus be unavailable for the home series’ against Zimbabwe and West Indies, and the New Zealand series in February and March next year.
The BCB disciplinary committee held a hearing with Sabbir Saturday at the BCB office in Mirpur’s Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka and reached the decision of proposing the board a six-month suspension from international cricket. An approval on the proposal is likely in a day or two, which is a mere formality.
Top-order batsman Anamul Haque and middle-order batsman Sabbir Rahman have been kept out as the @BCBtigers announced a 15-member squad for the Asia Cup, Thursday.https://t.co/UoUB3svUbf#BCB #TIGERS #BCBTIGERS #CRICKET #BANGLADESH #BANGLADESHCRICKET #ANAMUL #SABBIR #ASIACUP #ACC— Dhaka Tribune Sports (@Sport_DT) August 30, 2018
This time Sabbir was accused of abusing fans on social media, and to some extent, even threatening a few during Bangladesh’s tour of the West Indies in June-August. According to reports, Sabbir was mocked by supporters after his poor performance in the second ODI against the Windies.
The Bangladesh cricketer reacted to the posts from his personal Facebook account. Screenshots of Sabbir’s messages to the supporters then went viral. Sabbir later claimed his account was hacked and he made the same claim to the BCB disciplinary committee.
“We could not verify if his account was hacked. Decision of suspending him has been based on collective disciplinary issue that he has created so far,” said BCB director Ismail Haider Mallick to the media Saturday.
A heavy punishment had become almost certain for Sabbir following BCB president Nazmul Hasan’s meeting with the board directors last week. According to media reports, series of indiscipline had irked the BCB boss, who had suggested a three-year ban for the 26-year old cricketer.
However, the BCB’s decision-makers were made to go lenient following requests from the national team management.
National cricketers Sabbir Rahman, Nasir Hossain and Mosaddek Hossain have been called for disciplinary hearing by the @BCBtigers.https://t.co/pAsz7Xvdyy#BCB #TIGERS #BCBTIGERS #CRICKET #BANGLADESH #BANGLADESHCRICKET #SABBIR #NASIR #MOSADDEK #RAHMAN #HOSSAIN #SABBIRRAHMAN #NH69— Dhaka Tribune Sports (@Sport_DT) August 30, 2018
“He (Sabbir) has regretted his wrongdoings to us and has promised of being careful in future. He said his Facebook account was hacked and has admitted to some of his wrongdoings. We have advised him to rectify his behaviour in the coming days,” said Mallick.
Sabbir’s series of indiscipline started during the Bangladesh Premier League T20 2016 and has continued ever since. Every time he has been in trouble, he regretted his actions and received heavy punishments.
Mallick added, “So far he was financially fined and banned from domestic cricket. So banning him from international cricket is a big punishment. And besides that we have warned him of being careful in future as any more complaints against him will see him serve heavier punishment. He might get a long-term ban if that happens.
“We saw him lose around Tk1.5m of earnings during his domestic suspension. There are people who rectify themselves and some don’t.”
The BCB disciplinary committee on the day also held the hearing of Bangladesh’s Asia Cup squad member Mosaddek Hossain. Mosaddek was accused by his wife of taking Tk1m in dowry. The middle-order batsman claimed in the media of getting divorced with his wife recently. The board has warned Mosaddek of being careful and restrained from taking any disciplinary action, given the issue is currently being dealt with at the court.