Warner apologised to all concerned, and went on express fear that he might never play for Australia again. "In the back of my mind, there's a tiny ray of hope that I may one day play for my country again but I'm resigned to the fact that might never happen," he said. Warner broke down in tears as he read out a prepared statement: "To the fans and the lovers of the game who have supported and inspired me on my journey as a cricketer, I want to sincerely apologise for betraying your trust in me. I have let you down badly. I hope in time I can find a way to repay you for all you've given me and possibly earn your respect again. "To my teammates and support staff, I apologise for my actions and I take full responsibility for my part in what happened on day three of the Newlands Test.
1/3 I know there are unanswered questions and lots of them. I completely understand. In time i will do my best to answer them all. But there is a formal CA process to follow.— David Warner (@davidwarner31) March 31, 2018
"To Cricket Australia, I apologise for my actions and the effect it has had on our game under your care and control. I want you to know that I fully support your review into the culture of the Australian cricket team. "To South African players, administration and fans, I apologise unreservedly for my part in this and I am sorry. I brought the game into disrepute on your soil. South Africa is a fine cricketing nation and deserves better from its guests and deserves better from me. "To all Australians, whether you're a cricket fan or not, I apologise for my actions. I'm sorry for the impact those actions have had on our country's reputation. I can honestly say I have only ever wanted to bring glory to my country by playing cricket. In striving to do so, I have made a decision which has had an opposite effect and it's one that I'll regret for as long as I'll live."
2/3 I am taking advice to make sure I properly comply with that process and answer all questions in the proper place and at the proper time.— David Warner (@davidwarner31) March 31, 2018
Warner went on to vow he would change his ways. "In the coming weeks and months I'm going to look at how this happened and who I am as a man," he said. "I will seek out advice and expertise to help me make serious changes." Warner did not directly comment on a few questions posed to him, especially when asked if other players were involved and whether something like this had happened before. He later explained why on Twitter. "I know there are unanswered questions and lots of them. I completely understand," he wrote. "In time i will do my best to answer them all. But there is a formal CA process to follow. "I am taking advice to make sure I properly comply with that process and answer all questions in the proper place and at the proper time.
3/3 I should have mentioned that in my press conference I’m sorry for not making it clearer. With so much at stake for my family and cricket I have to follow this process properly. I think that’s fair.— David Warner (@davidwarner31) March 31, 2018
"I should have mentioned that in my press conference. I’m sorry for not making it clearer. With so much at stake for my family and cricket I have to follow this process properly. I think that’s fair." The fallout from the incident has perhaps affected Warner most severely, after CA's investigations revealed he had been responsible for developing the plan. Warner and Smith have also lost many sponsorship deals as well as their contracts with their respective sides in the Indian Premier League. In addition, CA mandated that all three players undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket. Separately, Darren Lehmann has also announced his resignation from the role of head coach at the end of the ongoing series, saying, "Australian cricket needs to move forward and this is the right thing to do."
David Warner press conference has finished. He did not directly answer questions around whether anyone other than he, Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft were involved. MORE HERE: https://t.co/aEk2D3V22q pic.twitter.com/4Wc4qSbqMT— cricket.com.au (@CricketAus) March 31, 2018