BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury said they are concerned over the current situation in England following the terrorist attack in Manchester.
However, the BCB has full confidence regarding the security arrangements in place for the participating teams ahead of the eight-team 2017 Champions Trophy, set to begin in England next Thursday. The statement from the BCB high-up came after a suicide bomb attack killed at least 22 people and injured several others in an explosion that tore through fans leaving an Ariana Grande pop concert in Manchester on Monday.
“We are concerned but have full faith on the ICC and the host country (England). I believe the security arrangements in place for the tournament will now be beefed up. We will monitor the situation closely and will be in communication with the ICC and the host,” Nizamuddin told a Dhaka-based news website on Tuesday.
According to the BCB CEO, Bangladesh cricket has enough reasons to stand beside England in such a crisis. Despite security concerns in Bangladesh due to militant activities last year, the English team toured the country for a bilateral series consisting two Test matches and three ODIs.
“We must remember that any country can go through such crisis. We had England team tour Bangladesh at a time of crisis. They (England) have always been of great help to Bangladesh cricket,” said the BCB official.
The Tigers are in Ireland at the moment participating in the tri-nation series involving New Zealand and the home side. Following their last game of the tournament on Wednesday, the men in red and green will travel back to England for the eighth edition of the Champions Trophy. Before travelling to Ireland, the Tigers underwent a 10-day long conditional camp in Sussex.
Meanwhile, the ICC in a media release said it will review security arrangements in place for the Champions Trophy.
“Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the horrific attack in Manchester. The ICC and ECB place safety and security at the Champions Trophy and Women’s World Cup this summer as the highest priority,” said an ICC media release on Tuesday.
“We operate on advice from our Tournament Security Directorate - in conjunction with the ECB and relevant authorities - to ensure that we have a robust safety and security plan for both tournaments. We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels.
“The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe. We do not disclose our security details as a matter of policy,” the ICC added in the statement.