The Bangladesh Cricket Board is on its toes to receive the three-member England and Wales Cricket Board security inspection team which is set to reach Dhaka on Wednesday.
According to BCB's media and communications committee chairman Jalal Younus, the board has taken all possible measures to satisfy the ECB delegates and any observation from the visitors will be taken care of accordingly and if needed, assurance will be given by the top officials of the Bangladesh government.
The ECB's security advisor Reg Dickason, Professional Cricketers' Association chief executive David Leatherdale and ECB director of cricket operations John Carr are in the inspection team which is currently inspecting venues in India.
England are scheduled to reach Bangladesh on September 30 to play three ODIs and two Tests in Dhaka and Chittagong. But the tour was pushed into uncertainty after ECB showed concerns over security following the terrorist attack in Dhaka on July 1.
Anyone visiting the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur now will have to go through at least two layers of security starting from the main gate. These measures were communicated with the ECB from time to time.
The notable security measures include increased security personnel, installation of many CCTV cameras around the venue and stringent checks to anyone entering. The BCB's foreign employees are also provided personal security.
Jalal said during the three-day visit, the ECB representatives will visit the British and the Australian High Commissions, meet local security agencies and Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal.
“We have nothing much to talk about with them because we have been in constant communication with the ECB for the past few months. Their meeting with the British and Australian High Commissions, the home minister and the security agencies will be of importance,” he told Dhaka Tribune on Tuesday.
“Besides, if they want to meet any other top officials of the government, we will get them the appointment. Terrorism is not an issue only in Bangladesh but in many parts of the world like London, Paris or India. But that does not mean sports will be stopped or hampered,” added Jalal.
Last year, Cricket Australia postponed its scheduled tour of Bangladesh over security concerns while months later, Cricket South Africa postponed its women’s team tour of Bangladesh citing the same reason. Australia pulled out of the 2016 Under-19 World Cup in January but England, Scotland, Ireland and New Zealand participated. England's participation is giving Jalal some confidence about a repeat this October.
“We had arranged such a big tournament without any trouble and England sent their team to it. I hope they will take note of that. If Bangladesh have managed to provide proper security to so many teams during the U-19 World Cup, they should realise that it should be way easy to take care of a single team,” said Jalal.
But there have been many occasions when security was found compromised during home series with the personnel responsible to make sure of authorised entry into the stadium often seen breaking the rule.
“We need cooperation from everyone. This tour of England has become a national interest now and I will expect everyone to do their respective duty properly.
“The accreditation system for this series will be done very carefully and also entrance to the stadium will have vigilant monitoring,” said Jalal.