Juve, Real and Barca said they were ready to reconsider the proposed approach of the breakaway project following the backlash, but said it would be 'highly irresponsible' for them to abandon the project
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus, the three clubs still involved in the proposed European Super League, denounced Saturday the "intolerable" pressure put on them by Uefa to drop the project.
Uefa said Friday that the three clubs will face sanctions and European football's ruling body has started disciplinary proceedings against them.
A breakaway Super League set up by 12 clubs was announced last month but fell apart after 48 hours.
The nine other clubs, including six English Premier League teams, backed out of the plan and have signed a "Club Commitment Declaration" including a series of reintegration steps.
Real, Barca and Juve released a joint statement.
Barca's net debt rose to 488 million euros ($586 million)last year, more than doubling due to the coronavirus pandemic,...Sports Tribune on Thursday, 22 April 2021
The Super League argued it would increase revenue for the top clubs in Europe and allow them to distribute more money to the rest of the game.
Uefa, other teams and fan organizations, however, said the league would only boost the power and wealth of elite clubs.
Juve, Real and Barca said they were ready to reconsider the proposed approach of the breakaway project following the backlash, but said it would be "highly irresponsible" for them to abandon the project.
The nine clubs who pulled out of the Super League have agreed to "take all steps within their power" to end their involvement in the league.
They have been handed financial punishments by Uefa and have agreed to make a combined 15m euros goodwill contribution to benefit youth and grassroots football across Europe.