Bangladesh Cricket Board through a statement Tuesday informed that three players and a coach of a particular team were in wrangle over payments and eventually, Sylhet Sixers’ name had emerged
Bangladesh Cricket Board has served legal notice to Bangladesh Premier League Twenty20 franchise Sylhet Sixers over dispute with the side’s players and coach.
The move from the BCB was taken after the Sixers failed to comply with verbal request.
Earlier this week, Federation of International Cricketers' Associations revealed BPL as one of the sanctioned leagues where late payment or non-payment issue persists.
Fica in its report had claimed that at least three players had remained unpaid from the BPL season 2018-19.
Later, BCB through a statement Tuesday informed that three players and a coach of a particular team were in wrangle over payments and eventually, the Sixers’ name had emerged.
The players and coach in question are the West Indies wicketkeeper-batsman Nicholas Pooran, Afghanistan all-rounder Gulbadin Naib, Pakistan pacer Sohail Tanvir and Pakistan’s Waqar Younis.
BPL governing council member secretary Ismail Haider Mallick confirmed that the board had served legal notice to the BPL franchise.
“This is an isolated case and BCB has taken initiative to solve the issue. But it should also be considered that the players and the coach in question had signed directly with the franchise. Thus, this doesn’t come as a liability to the board and there is no option that the board would pay,” BCB director Mallick explained to the media Wednesday.
“We have sent a legal notice to the franchise owners that the payment should be cleared as soon as possible. We have very little to do here as these players had signed with the team outside the draft. But the claim hampers the image of the board and that’s why we have taken the issue seriously. BPL is a tournament owned by BCB so the board has to take some stance,” said Mallick.
BPL started its journey in 2012 but was marred with severe payment irregularities.
The BCB president Nazmul Hasan kept the tournament off for a season when he took charge of the board, and got the tournament back with stronger regulations.
The changes had made a positive impact as the tournament caught attention of the global audience.
However, the recent claim by Fica is believed to have somewhat rattled the trust once again.
“Our board president is very serious with remuneration of the players in BPL. We have been successful to brush off the irregularities that had marred the initial seasons of the tournament. Quality of the game has improved and leading cricketers from around the world are participating in this tournament now. The standard of the franchises have improved. And places where issues persists are being taken care of,” said Mallick.