Setien said he did not think his position had been under threat and was pleased with the football they have been playing
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has said coach Quique Setien will remain in charge of the team next season despite the team’s fading La Liga title bid, adding that he does not regret sacking Ernesto Valverde in January.
Valverde led Barca to successive title wins and his team were top of the table on goal difference when he was dismissed in January and replaced by Setien, who has tried to revolutionize Barca’s play with mixed results.
Barca’s title bid has unravelled following draws with Sevilla, Celta Vigo and Atletico Madrid and they trail leader Real Madrid by four points with four games remaining.
But the team finally clicked in Sunday’s outstanding 4-1 win at Villarreal and Bartomeu said he thinks they are heading in the right direction.
Setien said he did not think his position had been under threat and was pleased with the football they have been playing.
He also said his side would keep pushing Real until their chance of winning the title were over.