There are doubts looming over the World T20I later this year with the Australian government imposing travel restrictions till September 30
International Cricket Council is still planning to hold the World T20I as per schedule, which is October-November this year in Australia.
Sports activities around the world are halted for indefinite time due to Covid-19 pandemic as millions of people have been affected so far.
A teleconference took place Thursday among the chief executives’ committee of ICC with 12 Full and three Associate Members, but no decisions were taken.
During the call, the CEOs of the 12 Full Members and three Associate representatives confirmed their full commitment to work in partnership to address the challenges the sport will face in the coming weeks and months.
The meeting heard updates from all attendees regarding the current situation in their own countries.
“The purpose of this teleconference was to exchange information between the Member countries. The objective was to share the situation of cricket in every country due to the coronavirus,” said BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury to the media Thursday.
“We discussed in the current context, when the game can return to the field, when a country wants to start the matches again and all those things.
“None of us knows when we will get rid of this problem. So exchanging information is what matters the most. The World T20I is scheduled as per the initial itinerary and a decision in this regard will be taken in July when the ICC meeting is scheduled,” he said.
The CEC was updated on the continuing contingency planning for all ICC global events, including the Men’s World T20I and the Women’s World Cup.
Planning for both events as currently scheduled is ongoing.
There was agreement that the disrupted Future Tours Program would need to be collectively reviewed through to 2023 with a view to rescheduling as much of the cricket that has been postponed due to Covid-19 as possible.
Discussions and decisions on this and the future of both the World Test Championship and the Men’s World Cup Super League will be held at a later date when there is a greater understanding of the impact of the cricket that has been lost on the competitions.
There are doubts looming over the World T20I later this year with the Australian government imposing travel restrictions till September 30.
The tournament is scheduled to start on October 18 and run till November 15 with matches being played across six venues.
ICC CEO Manu Sawhney said: “I am grateful to my fellow CEOs for their clear commitment to a unified approach to steering cricket through this pandemic. We will work in partnership for the best outcomes for the sport in relation to both ICC events and bilateral cricket.
“We agreed on the importance of taking well informed, responsible decisions in relation to the resumption of international cricket. The complexities involved in being able to stage ICC global events are extensive to ensure we protect the health and safety of everyone involved and they will be carefully considered before any decisions are arrived at in the best interests of the game.”
Cricket Australia CEO Kevin Roberts said: “CA is working closely with the ICC, the Local Organizing Committee and the Australian government so we have a comprehensive understanding of exactly what it will take to be able to play the Men’s World T20I in October in Australia as planned.
“We are also jointly exploring all other options in relation to staging the event and will take the right decisions at the right time so we can host a wonderful celebration of the sport and keep everyone involved safe and well.”