The seventh edition of the BPL T20 is scheduled to begin on December 6 this year
The BCB is considering offering the overseas cricketers who had signed directly with the “franchises,” to participate in the special edition of the Bangladesh Premier League T20.
The BCB, amid discussions with the existing BPL franchises, had come to the decision of holding a “special edition of BPL”, not involving any franchises for the season.
This had left a long list of famed overseas cricketers puzzled given that they had already signed with different teams for the season.
BCB chairman of media and communications committee, Jalal Younus informed that the tournament format is being kept the same as the previous editions.
And in the case of overseas cricketers who have been signed directly by the franchises, the board will offer them to participate in the tournament if they are available.
The seventh edition of the BPL T20 is scheduled to begin on December 6 this year.
“The format will be similar to those we have seen in the last few editions of the tournament. Four overseas players will be allowed to field for each team. There are a few overseas cricketers who were signed by the franchises. We can offer them to play this edition of the tournament if they are free,” said Jalal to reporters at Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka Monday.
The board took over the massive responsibility of arranging the tournament single-handedly, and raise a portion of the team operation costs by involving sponsors.
The slow progress of organizing had ignited doubts as to whether the tournament will start as per schedule.
The unavailability of BPL governing council chairman Sheikh Sohel and member secretary Ismail Haider Mallick only added fuel to the doubts.
Both Sohel and Mallick’s absence from the board have been due to unknown reasons.
Jalal informed that the board cannot be at a standstill with the absence of some members and that he is confident of the tournament starting as per schedule.
But for that to happen, the ground work should be completed on time.
“We have strong intentions to start the special BPL on December 6. The BCB is already working with the ambition to meet the schedule. The CEO [Nizamuddin Chowdhury] and different managers of the board have been involved to prepare the structure in order to execute the tournament. They are, at the moment, doing the homework. Soon, the plans will be set and we will sit with the companies that have shown interest to be team sponsors,” informed Jalal, who is also a member of the BPL GC.
“I cannot tell their [Sohel and Mallick] whereabouts and I should not be knowing that, to be honest. They have been away from the country for personal reasons and their unavailability shall not affect the preparation of the tournament,” added the BCB director.
It is understood that with two key members of the BPL GC missing for unexplained reason, BCB president Nazmul Hasan has taken the charge of organizing the season's BPL which he had announced, will mark the 100th birthday of the Father of the Nation, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Jalal informed the media regarding the strong involvement of the BCB supremo in organizing the tournament this season.
“President [Nazmul] has taken the charge to organize and decide on the tournament this year. He will organize the tournament along with the BPL GC,” said Jalal.
“Once the paper work is done, we can move on to the execution of the tournament. The board president is well informed on the progress. Most possibly, within a week, we can come to decisions,” the BCB director explained.