• Friday, Sep 20, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:03 am

Nazmul counters BPL irregularity claims

  • Published at 09:17 pm August 17th, 2019
BCB
BCB president Nazmul Hasan briefs the media as CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury and directors Mahbub Anam and Jalal Younus look on in Dhaka Saturday Dhaka Tribune/Md Manik

The money-spinning tournament made headlines earlier this month after the BPL governing council announced that they would start a fresh four-year cycle, making a major revamp in the team rules and regulations over “direct signing” of players

Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hasan has countered claims of irregularities regarding the rules and regulations in the Bangladesh Premier League T20. 

The money-spinning tournament made headlines earlier this month after the BPL governing council announced that they would start a fresh four-year cycle, making a major revamp in the team rules and regulations over “direct signing” of players.

This had raised eyebrows of many, given that the move had come particularly after all-rounder Shakib al Hasan switched from Dhaka Dynamites to Rangpur Riders.

This irked many BPL franchises who claimed that it has become “tough” for them to survive in the tournament that has no sets of rules. 

The franchises urged for uniformity with the regulations, following which the BPL GC set meetings with one franchise at a time. 

The meetings though, originally scheduled to start from Sunday, will now begin from Monday.

BCB chief Nazmul countered the claims made by the franchises and said it is the franchises who have breached the rules over the past seasons, and not the BPL GC.  

“Many franchises have complaints about BPL’s rules and regulations alterations. They say they won’t play if we change the rules every season. But when did we change the rules? In fact, the franchises change or break the rules and we try to stop them,” claimed the BCB boss in front of the media at Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka Saturday.

“We never change the rules. They (franchises) have broken it this time too. They are changing it, though there is the restriction of retention. But this can’t happen because it is not in the rule book. We just did not let them break the rule,” the BCB supremo added.

Last season, the BPL GC and the franchises were in dispute after Australia cricketer Steven Smith was granted as an “additional signing” for Comilla Victorians. 

The BPL GC and the franchises later reached a common ground, allowing Smith to represent the Victorians.

As a result, each franchise were allotted one extra overseas direct signing.

“Last time there was criticism about Smith. We did not bring Smith, franchise signed him,” he said.

The Victorians were part of another dispute, this time with Rangpur during season 2017-18, over reserve day during the second Qualifier game.

“And the final [qualifier] where Comilla franchise said they would not play; If they are not interested to play, it’s not our problem. They claimed to be the winner, but we can’t announce like that. It’s not in the rule. Then, both the franchises agreed to play the next day,” he said.

The next edition of the BPL T20 is scheduled to start in the first week of December this year.

However, the BPL GC is yet to finalize the participation of the total number of teams. 

Recently, Chittagong Vikings franchise decided to discontinue in the tournament, making the BCB look for new owners for the port-city team. 

There is uncertainty over continuity of Sylhet Sixers too. 

It is understood that Sylhet owe money not only to the board but also the players who have played for the side in the BPL season 2018-19.

“As far as I know, majority of the franchises have paid. Otherwise I would be informed. And the ones which had due, they have paid it a couple of days before. If they do not, there won’t be any renewal,” he said.

“One franchise have said, they don’t want to renew. So new franchise will come, but of course existing franchises will be prioritized,” he concluded.