Bangladeshi film “Khacha” has dropped out of the Oscar race with no place in the shortlist for Best Foreign Language Film category released by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Nine out of record 92 films from around the world were named on the shortlist published on December 14. The final nominations will be announced on January 23.
“Khacha,” directed by Akram Khan and produced by Impress Telefilms, was selected by the Bangladesh’s Oscar Committee the country’s entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 90th Academy Awards. But the drama film seems to have failed to secure a nomination.
Indian film “Newton” also crashed out of the Oscar race.
The shortlisted films are:
• A Fantastic Woman, Sebastián Lelio, Chile
• In the Fade, Fatih Akin, Germany
• On Body and Soul, Ildikó Enyedi, Hungary
• Foxtrot, Samuel Maoz, Israel
• The Insult, Ziad Doueiri, Lebanon
• Loveless, Andrey Zvyagintsev, Russia
• Félicité, Alain Gomis, Senegal
• The Wound, John Trengove, South Africa
• The Square, Ruben Östlund, Sweden
The 90th Academy Awards will be held on March 4, 2018 at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood and Highland Center in Los Angeles, US.
Viewers from more than 225 countries and territories worldwide will be able to enjoy the Oscars, to be televised live on ABC.