• Thursday, Nov 21, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:39 pm

NoC revoked for Farooki’s film

  • Published at 12:16 am February 19th, 2017
  • Last updated at 12:19 am February 19th, 2017
NoC revoked for Farooki’s film
The film is reportedly based on the late Bangladeshi writer and filmmaker Humayun Ahmed’s life, which has hit a roadblock after Meher Afroz Shaon, the widow of the late author, sent an official objection letter against the movie to Bangladesh Film Censor Board. The movie was filmed towards the end of 2016, and controversy regarding it has followed ever since. Rumours started making rounds about the story of the movie being centred around the life of late author Humayun Ahmed. Shaon submitted an objection letter to the authority on February 13, where she demanded a thorough diagnosis of the movie and lawful action, if links to the author’s personal life is substantiated. The Information Ministry then asked Bangladesh Film Development Corporation (BFDC) to revoke the ‘no objection certificate’ granted to the film on February 15, Variety magazine reported. According to the Managing Director of BFDC Tapan Kumar Ghosh, it was BFDC that approved the script of the film. The BFDC reviewed and approved the script on March 8, last year. It also previewed the film on February 12, before issuing the no objection certificate. But just a day later, the BFDC sent the production a letter, stating that the certificate had been cancelled due to a letter from the Bangladesh Information Ministry. The Third Person Singular Number director Farooki has always denied the allegation about the film being a biopic of Humayun Ahmed. The director condemned the ban, and said that he will take the matter to court. “Yes, my film handles a so-called taboo subject, but it doesn’t show anything explicit and hence doesn’t violate any censor code. This goes against the freedom of expression,” Farooki told Variety. However, Farooki remains optimistic about his work as he clarified that the ban is a temporary one. “Our film has not been permanently banned! It is indefinitely blocked due to the unjust suspension of NoC! However, we believe this suspension will be lifted and we shall overcome!” he wrote on Facebook, on Friday. Irrfan Khan, one of the central attractions and co-producer of the movie has expressed shock upon hearing the news. “I am really surprised to know that the government of Bangladesh has blocked the film. This is a human story that deals with complex male and female relationships in a subtle and balanced way. What harm will it cause to the society if seen?” the acclaimed Lunchbox actor said to the Variety magazine. Irrfan plays the lead role in Doob: No Bed of Roses. Aside from Irrfan, Doob also features Parno Mitra from Kolkata, Nusrat Imroz Tisha, and Rokeya Prachi from Dhaka. The movie is an Indo-Bangla venture where Jaaz Multimedia represents Dhaka, and Eskay Movies represents Kolkata.