8 Sitakunda depot officials, workers sued over horror blaze
Fire at BM Container Depot now fully doused
A case has been started over the recent fire at BM Container Depot in Sitakunda upazila of Chittagong.
Sub-Inspector Ashraf Siddiqui filed the case against eight officials and workers of the depot on Tuesday night, said Sitakunda police station OC Abul Kalam Azad.
The eight stood accused of negligence and mismanagement, he said.
The fire at the depot has finally been doused after nearly 86 hours of frantic efforts.
The fire had been completely extinguished, Lt Col Md Ariful Islam told the media at around 11am on Wednesday.
Dozens were killed and hundreds were injured in the fire that broke out at BM Container Depot on the night of June 4.
- Sitakunda depot fire fully doused after 86 hours
- Another man injured in Sitakunda depot fire dies
- India PM Modi expresses shock at deadly Chittagong depot fire
- BNP blames government’s negligence for Sitakunda depot fire
The death toll as of Wednesday morning stands at 44, but officials fear it could rise as many of the victims are critically injured and some people remain missing after the explosions.
Although the reason behind the fire has yet to be unearthed, Fire Service officials confirmed that they had not been informed that chemicals had been stored at the depot.