Gadgets we loved last year
2017 has been a great year for consumer-level technology, and not only has new, exciting technology been brought to the market, but existing technology has also dropped in price. This is just a recap of some of the better gadgets we got this year, at different price points.
$50/Tk4000 and under
- The Google Home Mini and Alexa Dot (Both $49.99) are great ways to get into setting up a smart home, or just as smart assistants. They’ve been available in the US for a while, but only recently became available in Bangladesh. If you’re unsure about which one to buy, you can just search up what each of them has to offer.
- Google’s Chromecast and Amazon’s Fire TV Stick are great if you want to watch Netflix, YouTube, etc on your non-smart TV. Just plug it into your TV’s HDMI port and it’ll make your TV feel like it is a smart TV.
- Amazon’s Kindle E-reader is quite affordable at $80, and makes for a great gift, because they’re useful for anyone who reads (AKA most people). Each Kindle can hold thousands of e-books and they are especially useful for people who need glasses, as I find them to be much easier to hold close to your face without blocking the light, so that I don’t need to wear my glasses when reading.
- The Philips Hue Starter Kit is on the expensive side ($70), considering it’s just a couple light bulbs and a controller, but the versatility these light bulbs offer is unparalleled. They can be set to a multitude of colours, or even on a colour changing mode. They’re very bright and the brightness can be adjusted as well. If you want to set up a smart home, these are great because they work with smart assistants like Alexa. They’re especially useful if you set them up all around your house, because you can give Alexa (or another assistant) commands like “Turn off the lights in the bedroom”, and it’ll do just that.
- The Nintendo Super NES Classic is great if you had the first Nintendo Super NES as it brings back a ton of memories and makes you feel nostalgic in a good way, but it’s also fun for people who’ve never had a Super NES (like me), because it has some great games built into it, and come with two controllers if you want to play with your friend.
- The Bose QC35s and Sennheiser PXC 550s are premium headphones with a premium price tag of $350 and $400 respectively, but if you do decide to pick one of these up, you will not be disappointed. They offer great sound quality, bluetooth listening, and active noise cancelling. If you’re looking to up your audio game with a pair of wireless headphones, you should definitely consider getting either of these.
- The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo’s way of making up for the abysmal Wii U, and it completely brought Nintendo back to where it was. It’s priced at a reasonable $300, and is both portable, and can be played on a big screen at home. It has some of the best games of the year on it as well, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey (sold separately). If you’re looking for a console you can play on both at home and outside, then look no further.
- The Xbox One and PS4 are still great consoles, which offer an enjoyable gaming experience. There are a variety of editions of each, such as the PS4 Pro and Slim, so you should find one that’s good for you. I’m inclined to suggest the PS4 over the Xbox here, because the PS4 community is more active and larger than its Xbox counterpart in Bangladesh.
- Smart watches like the Apple Watch Series 3, are becoming more and more useful. Nowadays, a good smart watch can do more or less everything your phone can. There’s a wide variety of smart watches, so I can’t give a specific price, as some watches are under $100 and some are above $300. If you are willing to invest into a good smart watch, you’ll find it very useful, especially if you like to go on walks or go to a nearby place, and don’t like taking your phone with you.
Unfortunately, it can be hard to find these gadgets in Bangladesh, but almost all of them can be found in IDB Bhaban, and many of them can be found in shops which may be closer to you, such as Gadget & Gear. If you want to order them online, you should do so soon, as many online sites are having a Christmas sale, so you can find these gadgets for less than their usual price.