Breakfast like a champ
Although going big on breakfast may not be a Bengali convention, science suggests otherwise. Multiple studies have linked eating breakfast to good health, lower levels of bad cholesterol, and lower chances of getting diabetes or heart disease. As hard as it may be, it’s time to say no to the roti-bhaji or just a cup of coffee on-the-go. To jumpstart your day with a hearty meal, we present you with these three healthy breakfast bowls.
Don’t forget your calcium and vitamin D.
6 slices of bread
2/3 cups of milk
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
½ cup apple, sliced
Pinch of salt
• Beat egg, milk, and salt together.
• Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture.
• Place it on a pan and cook until it becomes golden.
• Place it in a bowl with apples.
A great option for vegans, this bowl packs a powerful punch of vitamin C and A.
1½ cups of frozen mango chunks
2 bananas, sliced
¼ cup almond milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
Any topping of choice (eg berries, dried coconut)
• Combine all the ingredients in a blender starting with the liquids.
• Blend it till it reaches a consistency that is a little thicker than a normal smoothie but lighter than ice cream.
• Pour it in a bowl and add toppings of your choice.
If you want a little bit more fibre in your breakfast bowl, here’s what you’re looking for.
1/4 cup dry oats
3/4 cup water
Salt and pepper
1 tsp coconut oil
1/4 cup diced red pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
1 large egg
Any optional toppings like walnuts, or green onions
• Boil water. Add oatmeal, reduce heat a little and let it cook for about three minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
• Heat a nonstick pan with half a teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook for two to three minutes, until they soften. Spoon vegetables over cooked oats. Reduce heat to medium.
• Add the remaining half of the coconut oil and fry the egg. Cook until the whites are no longer translucent and serve over oatmeal.
• Top with chopped walnuts, green onions or any other toppings of your choice.