Of the total deceased till now 78.68% were male and 21.32% were female
Bangladesh has recorded 35 more deaths from Covid-19 in the last 24 hours taking the death toll to 3,035.
Furthermore, 3,009 new infections have been confirmed, taking the total number of Covid-19 patients in the country to 232,194.
Prof Nasima Sultana, additional director general (administration) of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), delivered the updates on the Covid-19 pandemic situation in the daily online bulletin on Wednesday afternoon.
2,388 males and 647 females died so far
Of the 35 deceased, 14 were reported in Dhaka division, eight in Chittagong, four in Barisal, three in Mymensingh and two each in Rajshahi, Khulna, and Sylhet, Prof Nasima said.
The division wise death count is – 1,458 in Dhaka, 739 in Chittagong, 179 in Rajshahi, 214 in Khulna, 146 in Sylhet and 119 in Barisal, 115 in Rangpur and 65 in Mymensingh.
Of the 35 deceased 30 were men and five women. Till now, 2,388 males have died of Covid-19 in Bangladesh while 647 females have died, which means 78.68% of the deceased were male and 21.32% female, she added.
One of the deceased was between 21-30 years in age, one between 31-40, six between 41-50, seven between 51-60, 12 between 61-70, seven between 71-80, and one were over the age of 80.
The number of deaths based on age so far -- 18 of the deceased were between 0-10 years in age, 30 between 11-20 years, 85 between 21-30, 201 between 31-40, 431 between 41-50, 876 between 51-60, 1,394 were over the age of 60, she further added.
Nasima said that 29 of them died in various hospitals while six died at home. The overall death toll now accounts for 1.31% of all infected persons recorded.
On June 16, Bangladesh recorded 53 deaths, the highest number of deaths from the virus recorded on a single day in the country so far.
Deaths from the coronavirus infection crossed the 1,000 mark in Bangladesh on June 10 and the country crossed the 100 mark on April 20. The country had recorded its first fatality on March 18.
21.30% test positive in 24hrs
The DGHS official said as many as 14,253 samples were collected during the last 24 hours across the country.
Including previous collections, 14,127 samples were tested at 82 authorized labs -- both government and private -- across the country.
With 3,009 of the tests coming back positive, the detection rate of new patients in the last 24 hours stood at 21.30%.
Till now, 1,151,258 samples have been tested and 232,194 resulted positive for Covid-19 which means the positivity rate is 20.17%, Prof Nasima said.
The number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Bangladesh crossed the grim 100,000 mark on June 18. The first cases were confirmed on March 8.
Recovery rate 56.11%
In the briefing, the DGHS official said that 2,878 more Covid-19 patients have recovered from the infection in the last 24 hours.
So far, 130,292 people – 56.11% of all infected -- have made full recoveries from the deadly virus.
“In the past 24 hours 827 people have been put in isolation and 1,146 were released. Till now, 49,316 people have been taken in isolation and 30,647 people have been released.”
“At the same time, another 1,955 people have been put under home and institutional quarantine, and 2,570 were released. At present, 57,244 people are in quarantine across the country,” The DGHS additional director general added.
DGHS: 11,267 empty beds, while ICU empty 235
Prof Nasima said in the briefing that 2,090 people are currently admitted in general beds in different hospitals of Dhaka metropolitan area hospital and 189 people are admitted in ICU. There are 305 people admitted in general beds in Chittagong metropolitan area hospital and 17 people are admitted in ICU.
Besides, there are 1,568 patients admitted in ordinary beds in other hospitals across the country and 108 people in ICU, she added.
There are 15,210 general beds across the country where only 3,963 patients are admitted. The number of ICU beds is 549 across the country of which 314 are occupied, she further added.
Prof Nasima said that 66,985 people received services directly from the Covid-19 telehealth centre from June 18 till now. Of these, 95% of patients have sought treatment from a physician at home and recovered. The remaining 5% of the patients have been sent to the hospital.
She also urged the general public to be aware of the current situation and follow health directives issued by the government.
Covid-19 is a severe acute respiratory illness caused by the new strain of coronavirus Sars-CoV-2. The virus broke out in China's Wuhan in December 2019 and quickly spread throughout the world, becoming a pandemic in less than three months.
According to Worldometer, 16,924,085 people have been infected by Covid-19 across the globe till Wednesday evening and 664,208 died from the disease while 10,486,448 have recovered.