The number of daily deaths increased by 2.03% on Thursday compared to Wednesday
The world has seen a minor upward trend of new daily deaths from the coronavirus after a fall.
The worldwide deaths from the pandemic rose by 5,179 on Thursday, bringing total fatalities since the outbreak came to light in December last year to 490,989, according to Worldometer.
The number of daily deaths increased by 2.03% on Thursday compared to Wednesday. This marks a rise of 103 compared to the previous day (Wednesday), which saw 5,076 new deaths.
The highest daily fatalities so far were reported on April 17, with 8,435 deaths from the coronavirus infection in a 24-hour period, and Thursday's total deaths were decreased by almost 40% from that day.
A week ago, on June 18, the number of new deaths worldwide was 5,137 and a week before that on June 11, it was 4,986.
Till now, the number of active cases stands at 3,972,866.
Of the active cases, 3,915,482 (99%) were identified to be in mild condition while the rest 57,384 (1%) have been marked as serious or critical.
At the same time, 5,250,087 people from across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment – which was (91%) of cases which had an outcome.
The Covid-19 pandemic has infected 9,714,809 people since its discovery in December 2019.
In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into an outbreak.
The virus is thought to have emerged in a Wuhan market illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia, respiratory diseases, among others, and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.
Till now, coronavirus or Covid-19 has affected 213 countries and territories around the world and two international conveyances.