• Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021
  • Last Update : 04:23 pm

Coronavirus: Global daily cases hit new high

  • Published at 12:03 pm May 22nd, 2020
Covid-19 pandemic, outside a hospital, in Santiago,
A health worker puts on a protective suit due to the Covid-19 pandemic, outside a hospital, in Santiago, on May 18, 2020 AFP

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 2,780,233

The world has encountered an increase in the global coronavirus daily cases for the fourth consecutive day since May 17.

According to Worldometers, the highest 107,085 new coronavirus cases were recorded across the globe on Thursday, taking the total number of Covid-19 cases to 5,190,496.

The number is 6,611 higher than that of the previous day, which was 100,474 and again 12,272 higher than the day before, which was 94,813.

A week ago, on May 14, the number of new cases worldwide was 96,343 and a week before that on May 7, it was 96,254.

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 2,780,233.

Of the active cases 2,734,624 (98%) were identified to be in mild condition while the rest 45,609 (2%) have been marked as serious or critical.

At the same time, 2,082,950 people from across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment – which was 86% of cases which had an outcome.

The Covid-19 pandemic has claimed 334,680 lives since its discovery in December 2019 – which was 14% of cases which had an outcome.

In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into outbreak.

The virus is thought to have emerged late last year in a Wuhan market illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia, respiratory diseases, among others, and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.

Till now, coronavirus or Covid-19 has affected 213 countries and territories around the world and two international conveyances.

Facebook 51
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail