One of the pitfalls of fasting in Dhaka is that too often the benefits of fasting are undone by the intake of unhealthy fried food during iftar. This Ramadan, Cookups brings you quick and easy recipes to make breaking your fast a healthy, refreshing experience
1. Mix ½ cup water with two tablespoons of sugar with juice from two slices of lime, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of agar agar powder.
2. Put the mixture to boil for two minutes. Take it off the heat and add two drops of green food colouring.
3. Once cooled, layer it at the bottom of a glass mason jar.
4. Now take the lychee juice and mix another teaspoon of agar agar powder, boil for two minutes. Take it off the heat and add a few drops of red food colouring.
5. Once cooled, add the red layer to jar.
6. Now take the orange juice and zest, mix two more tablespoons of sugar (optional) and put the mixture to boil for two minutes.
7. Take it off the heat and once cooled, pour this orange/yellow layer on top of the red layer.
8. Boil tapioca until the consistency feels a bit sticky.
9. Boil a cup of milk and reduce to about half a cup. Mix in the cardamom powder and two tablespoons of sugar (adjust to your own level of sweetness) and add in the tapioca pearls.
10. Add the sweet chhana balls to the milk mixture and pour the white milky layer on top of the orange layer. Layer Tutti Fruiti on top. Your jar should be full and your sweet summer dessert is ready!