The media will be briefed on the probe report on Friday, says the home minister
The fatal February 20 fire at Old Dhaka’s Chawkbazar had originated from the warehouse storing cosmetics, especially spray canisters, on the first floor of the Haji Wahed Mansion, a probe conducted by the Home Ministry has found.
Investigators has also said that the fire was not sparked by a gas cylinder blast or electrical short-circuit, rather suspects “some kind of leakage in the chemical warehouse.”
The findings were filed to the offices of Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal on Thursday by the head of the investigation panel, Additional Secretary Pradip Ranjan Chakraborty of the ministry’s narcotics and fire wing.
He, however, declined to comment on it. “The minister will brief, if there is anything to say.”
Reached for comment, Home Minister Kamal told Bangla Tribune that he was yet to go through the probe report, but added that the media will be briefed on Friday.
He, however, also said: “No cylinders exploded. An electrical short circuit did not spark the fire. It started from the chemical warehouse on the first floor of Wahed Mansion.”
Death toll in one of the deadliest fires in the country’s history has so far reached 71 with four others being treated with severe burn injuries.
Previously, a total of 124 people were killed in another similar devastating fire at Old Dhaka’s Nimtoli in June 2010.