• Wednesday, Sep 26, 2018
  • Last Update : 02:18 am

Probe body says Bangladesh Bank caught fire from electric kettle

  • Published at 06:40 pm March 25th, 2017
Probe body says Bangladesh Bank caught fire from electric kettle
The probe committee formed over Thursday’s fire incident at the Bangladesh Bank (BB) headquarters in Dhaka has said the fire might have broken out due to a short circuit in an electric kettle. On Saturday, after visiting the spot, the five-member probe body, led Fire Service and Civil Defence Deputy Director (Dhaka division) Somorandro Nath, also said they were looking into whether it was an act of sabotage. Somorandro told the Dhaka Tribune: “Visiting the spot where the fire originated, we found an electric kettle socket burnt and a wall coated with soot, which led us to suspect that the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the kettle.” He claimed that the damage caused by the fire was minimal.
Also Read- Fire at Bangladesh Bank’s forex policy office
“There was no major loss except a computer. Though there was a lot of smoke, it was not a big fire. Even, a towel on the chair next to the kettle was intact,” the official said. “We, however, asked the bank authorities to give us CCTV footage of that day. If we can detect any possible act of sabotage during the investigation, we will mention it in the report,” Somorandro added. The committee hoped to be able to submit its report to the authorities before the stipulated time. The fire broke out on the central bank’s 13th floor on Thursday night, which houses its Foreign Exchange Policy Department. Earlier, Fire Service and Civil Defence Director General Brigadier General Ali Ahmed Khan told the media that 15% of the floor space was gutted in the fire. Soon after the incident, Finance Minister AMA Muhith, his deputy MA Mannan and BB Governor Fazle Kabir visited the bank premises. BB Executive Director Shafiqul Islam too claimed the damage to be minimal.