• Sunday, Sep 26, 2021
  • Last Update : 03:46 am

Survey: 60% shops in Dhaka don't pay taxes

  • Published at 07:38 pm July 14th, 2021
Shopping Mall
File photo of Bashundhara City Shopping Complex Mehedi Hasan/Dhaka Tribune

A total of 2,133 shops were visited in Dhaka and its outskirts, and only 482 were found to have registered to pay VAT

As businesses brace for festival-based revenue amid markets and shopping malls reopening from Thursday, a survey by the National Board of Revenue (NBR) has shown that 60% of shops in the capital do not pay their taxes.

According to the survey conducted by the VAT Intelligence Department from May 24-31, a total of 2,133 shops were visited in Dhaka and its outskirts, and only 482 were found to have registered business identification numbers (BIN).

This means that the remaining 1,651 establishments did not pay their taxes, a whopping 77.36%.

This also implies that even if they took value added tax (VAT) from customers, it was not deposited in the state coffers.

Meanwhile, 428 out of 1,064 shops from eight upscale shopping malls in the capital paid taxes, 40% of the capital's total, leaving 60% out of the tax net.


Also Read - ‘Increase tax net, don’t squeeze existing taxpayers’


Surveyed shopping malls in the capital included Suvastu Nazar Valley Shopping Mall at Shahjadpur, Ananya Shopping Centre at Baridhara DOHS, Navana Tower at Gulshan 1, RAK Shopping Complex and Tropical Alauddin Tower at Uttara, Sunrise Plaza and Orchard Point at Dhanmondi, and Tokyo Square Shopping Mall at Mohammadpur.

Others included City Centre and New Market in Savar, Mark Tower, Sayem Plaza, Al Hakim Centre and Cooperative New Market in Narayanganj, Hossain Plaza in Demra, and Index Plaza and Zaman Shopping Complex in Narsingdi.

It is learned that only 26 out of 526 businesses of Suvastu Nazar Valley Shopping Mall, which is more than a decade old, have registered to pay VAT. 

Of the 55 shops at Sunrise Plaza in Dhanmondi, only 25 have BIN registration.

Speaking to the Dhaka Tribune recently, NBR chairman Abu Hena Md Rahmatul had said: "We want to stop the cat and mouse game between tax evaders and revenue collectors. We want businesspersons and the general people to voluntarily pay their taxes. We have taken several steps for this. 


Also Read - Revenue deficit 44,000C despite big companies paying hefty taxes


Our officials are making everyone aware about VAT. Besides, they are working hard to collect revenue from those institutions. Hopefully, if VAT's electronic fiscal device (EFD) can be installed at all the establishments, it will be possible to solve a lot of this problem," he added.

In Narsingdi, VAT Intelligence officers obtained information that only 41 out of 451 business establishments from two shopping malls have VAT registration.

Only 1 shop out of 228 establishments of Index Plaza, and none of the 20 companies of Zaman Shopping Complex have VAT registration.

On the other hand, in Narayanganj, of the 366 shops, only 17, or 5% of the total 366 shops have VAT registration. 

Only 1 of the 31 shops in the Mark Tower and 1 of the 81 shops in the Cooperative New Market paid VAT. 

Besides, only 8 out of 16 shops at Haji Hossain Plaza in Demra were found with VAT registration.

76
Facebook 70
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail