• Sunday, Jul 05, 2020
  • Last Update : 01:33 am

Environment-friendly production stressed for sustainable growth

  • Published at 01:14 am April 21st, 2019
ActionAid Bangladesh and Fashion Revolution
Speakers at a seminar organized by ActionAid Bangladesh and Fashion Revolution in the capital on Saturday COURTESY

Natural resources were being used in the production process excessively, which was having negative impact on the environment, pointed out the discussants, adding that wastes dumped by industries were polluting the environment

Experts on Saturday stressed environment-friendlily production process for sustainable growth as the environment was being severely polluted due to industrialization. 

They came up with the call at a seminar on ‘Voices and Solutions: Achieving Growth through Sustainable Production and Consumption in the Fashion Industry’ jointly organized by Action Aid Bangladesh and Fashion Revolution in Dhaka. 

The University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB) was knowledge partner of the event.  

Natural resources were being used in the production process excessively, which was having negative impact on the environment, pointed out the discussants, adding that wastes dumped by industries were polluting the environment.

They called for sustainable production process and consumption and use to the latest technology in energy, water and waste management to avert the negative impact of apparel sector on the environment. 

Addressing as chief guest, Dhaka north city mayor Md Atikul Islam said: “We have to reduce the industrial wastes by using latest technology and creating awareness among the people.” 

He also asked the city dwellers not to use water-bodies and canals as dustbin, saying that the sewerage management system would be improved.        

“Though the country’s apparel sector is contributing a lot to the national economy, it is a great concern for the environment. Due to water pollution, fish species are decreasing, while arable land is also depleting hurting livings of farmers,” Action Aid Bangladesh country Farah Kabir said. 

She called for working together to face the situation.

The global fashion industry was a US$3 trillion sector and considered to be the second biggest polluter in the world, she said in her presentation. 

Globally, the textile sector was the second highest user of water contributing to water waste by 20%, and the apparel industry emits 10% of carbon dioxide alone, she mentioned.

Cotton farming was responsible for 24% of insecticide and 11% pesticide production while only 15% of textile waste was recycled and the remaining 85% was sent to landfill, which negatively impacted the environment globally, said Farah. 

“If the manufacturers can use the raw materials efficiently, waste can be brought down. To this end, we have to raise awareness,” said BGMEA director Sharif Zahir. 

“In the policy guideline, we should focus on sustainable procession and its effective implementations. While there is no available data and information on fashion industry to formulate policy,” said Professor Imran Rahman, special advisor to the board of trustee of University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB). l

162
161
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail