• Monday, May 20, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:38 am

BGMEA: About all factories pay wages, bonus

  • Published at 12:39 am September 9th, 2016
BGMEA: About all factories pay wages, bonus
Trade union leaders also said workers of all garment factories except few received wages and bonus. Earlier, the BGMEA had brought a number of 529 readymade garment units under close monitoring as they were identified as likely to encounter problems in paying wages and bonus before Eid-ul-Azha to be observed on Tuesday. “Of the factories, only 21 were identified as risky (regarding wage and bonus payments),” Mahmud Hasan Babu, vice president of BGMEA, told the Dhaka Tribune. He said: “After negotiation with banks and owners, the problems of 17 factories have been solved. However, only four other factories faced trouble though their problem is expected to be solved by Sunday.” About bonus, BGMEA vice president specified that 95% of the garment owners paid wages and bonus while the remaining 5% would complete the process by Sunday. Sirajul Islam Rony, president of Bangladesh National Garment Workers Employees League, said they monitored factories located in Dhaka, Gazipur, Ashulia, Savar and Narayanganj to know about the payment as per the government’s directive. “Around all the factories paid bonus while over 80% gave wages. Others will pay it by Sunday,” he said. Sirajul Islam added there were four factories who were found closed due to shortage of work orders and yet pay workers. “However, efforts are going on to solve their crisis regarding payment to workers.” Earlier, the government directed the industry owners including the apparel sector to pay wages by September 5 and bonus by September 10. Bangladesh’s largest readymade garment sector employes 4.4m workers and makes over 10% of gross domestic product while more than 80% of the country’s total exports come from the garment industry.