• Friday, Nov 16, 2018
  • Last Update : 01:25 am

Charges pressed against 4 alleged razakars of Netrokona

  • Published at 01:16 pm May 3rd, 2017
Charges pressed against 4 alleged razakars of Netrokona
The prosecution of the International Crimes Tribunal on Wednesday submitted formal charges against four men from Netrokona alleging their involvement in war crimes. The accused are Azizur Rahman, 65, Ashak Ali, 82, Md Shahnewaz, 88, and Khalilur Rahman, 72, of Durgapur upazila of Netrokona. Apart from Khalilur, all the accused are behind bars. "We have pressed five charges against them including murder and rape. The tribunal set June 14 for passing order on cognisance," BSS quoted prosecutor Rana Dasgupta as saying. The ICT investigation agency on January 30 had finalised probe report in the case against the four. According to the investigation agency, Khalilur was the commander of local al-Badr Bahini. Abdul Hannan Khan, chief coordinator of the agency, said: "We initiated the probe on April 30, 2015 and recorded testimonies of 79 people while making this 546-page report. It is 46th probe report from the agency.” He said during the investigation they had found involvement of the accused with the killing of 22 people, rape of a woman, looting of 15 houses and setting fire to seven of those in Durgapur and Kalmakanda upazila in Netrakona. "There were five accused in the case but Ramjan Ali, 78, died of old age complications in police custody on September 30 last year. So we dropped his name out of the list," said M Sanaul Huq, senior coordinator of the investigation agency. According to the agency, all the accused were involved with politics of either Muslim League or Jamaat-e-Islami in the early 70's and subsequently joined Razakar and al-Badr during the Liberation War.