After passing the order upon the SP Syed Nurul Islam offering unconditional apology before it on Thursday, the ICT, however, rejected the explanation of Inspector General of Police (IGP), asking him to re-submit an explanation with his signature within ten days.
According to ICT sources, IGP AKM Shahidul Hoque’s submitted explanation was signed by his lawyer.
Being exonerated along with a warning, the Mymensingh police chief assured the court of not repeating such incident, said his lawyer M Amin Uddin.
The SP in his explanation claimed to have taken action against the persons responsible for delay in updating the ICT about the death.
Meanwhile, the police chief IGP too said they have taken departmental action against three persons, but did not mention their names.
On January 31, the duo were sought explanation about the police’s failure to inform the tribunal about the death, after the prosecution placed a petition urging the ICT to summon the IGP, SP and officer-in-charge of Phulbaria police station.
The ICT then said police’s “gross negligence” led to the indictment Md Wazuddin of Mymensingh’s Phulbaria upazila in a war crimes case.
According to his family, Wazuddin died on May 7, 2016 and was buried at Bridyananda village under the upazila. Afterwards, they informed local union parisad authorities about the matter who issued a death certificate and passed it to local police.
In August, the Phulbaria police forwarded the certificate to the district police headquarters and gave a reminder to the SP in December. But, the police official did not inform the matter to the tribunal until January 12 when the ICT came down heavily on it’s prosecution team and investigation wing as charges were framed against the dead war crimes suspect, following a a media report.
On December 11 last year, the ICT indicted Wazuddin along with Md Reaz Uddin Fakir, for abduction, confinement, torture, murder, rape during Liberation War.