At least 137 people were killed and more than 5,000 injured while dozens remain missing
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday expressed deepest condolences over the loss of innocent lives in the deadly explosion that rocked Lebanese capital of Beirut on Tuesday.
The prime minister offered condolences by sending a message to her Lebanese counterpart Hassan Diab, PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim said.
In the Beirut blast, at least 137 people were killed and more than 5,000 injured while dozens remain missing, a spokesperson of the Lebanese Health Ministry said on Thursday.
In her message, the prime minister said that on behalf of the people and the government of Bangladesh and on her own behalf, “I express our deepest condolences, for the loss of innocent lives due to the explosion that took place in Beirut.”
Sheikh Hasina also conveyed her sincere sympathy to the bereaved family members of the victims.
Also Read - Bangladesh to send food, medical team to Lebanon
“It is my firm conviction that the government of Lebanon, under your able leadership, will be able to bring the situation under control,” she said adding that Bangladesh would stand beside the people and the government of Lebanon in such times of crisis.
The premier mentioned that Bangladesh Navy Ship “Bijoy,” as part of UNFIL (United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon), was in the harbour at the time of explosion, which was also damaged and 21 Navy personnel were injured.
“It is learnt that some Bangladesh nationals living in Lebanon have lost their lives, while many suffered injuries. I am confident that at this hour of distress, they will be looked after by your esteemed government,” she said in the message to her Lebanese counterpart.
Officials have so far confirmed the deaths of four Bangladeshis in the blast. An estimated 150,000 Bangladeshis work in a number of sectors in Lebanon.
The prime minister also prayed for salvation of the departed souls as well as quick recovery of the injured people.