Among all the under construction coal-based power plants, the 1,320MW power plant near Payra Seaport in Patuakhali is likely to be the first one to go into operation, as the project is making rapid headway, according to officials.
Bangladesh-China Power Company Ltd (BCPCL), a joint venture of Chinese power company CMC and Bangladesh’s North-West Power Generation Company Ltd (NWPGCL), is implementing the project at a cost of about $2bn.
The plant will have two units. The first unit will be operational in April 2019 and the second one in October the same year.
The units will feature a plan for installing another coal-fired power plant having the same capacity and technology, a 100 MW solar plant, and a 50MW wind power plant, a BCPCL official told the Dhaka Tribune.
Ultra super-critical technology will be used to build the imported coal-based power plant, he added.
On March 19, 2014, the NWPGCL and CMC signed a memorandum of understanding to set up the plant.
As of now, 30% of the project’s construction work has been completed, BCPCL Managing Director AM Khurshedul Alam said.
On Friday, when visiting the project site at Dhankhali in Patuakhali, State Minister for Power Nasrul Hamid expressed his satisfaction over the progress so far made in construction of the power plant.
He said: “I am extremely happy to see the project make rapid progress. The plant is likely to be the first one among other under construction plants to go into operation.
“Currently, we are working on three major power generation hubs such as Payra in Patukhali, and Maheshkhali and Matarbari in Cox’s Bazar, where several coal and LNG-based power plants will be installed.”
Initiatives have been taken to prevent possible damage to the environment at Payra, Nasrul said, adding that the government is planning to set up a number of coal-fired power plants across the country to generate 20,000MW electricity by 2030.
The project is being implemented on a 30:70 equity:debt basis, meaning the NWPGCL and CMC will have to provide 30% of the total costs and mobilize the remaining 70% from international sources.
The cost of generating each unit of electricity is estimated at Tk6.
Khurshedul said the BCPCL was formed in October 2014 with a view to meeting the growing demand for electricity in the country.
The engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for implementation of the project was signed on March 29 last year between the company and a consortium of two Chinese firms – NPEC and CECC.
He also said the plant would be an eco-friendly one with clean coal technology and is expected to help achieve excellence in the country’s power and energy sector.
Earlier, the NWPGCL implemented two power plants, each having a capacity of 150MW. Of them, one is in Sirajganj and the other in Khulna.