• Tuesday, Jul 16, 2019
  • Last Update : 10:30 pm

Chhatra League committee fiasco: Deprived faction again go on sit-in

  • Published at 10:08 am May 27th, 2019
web-bcl-chhatra league-du
File photo: Deprived Chhatra League members seen observing a sit in at the base of Raju Memorial Sculpture on Monday, May 27, 2019 Dhaka Tribune

Rabbani, Chhatra League general secretary, said controversial members of the newly announced committee will be expelled before Eid

The Bangladesh Chhatra League men who were not included in the newly announced full-fledged committee have again gone on an indefinite sit-in program.

Following May 19 when the committee was first announced, deprived and higher-post-seeking Chhatra League members have demanded the re-formation of the newly announced committee.

The Chhatra League men from this deprived faction also demanded punishment of those who had attacked them while they were demonstrating at the base of Raju Memorial Sculpture again on early Monday.

Earlier on Sunday, a press release signed by the central president and general secretary of the Chhatra League was issued, which stated that the newly formed full-fledged committee would pay tribute to Bangabandhu's portrait at Dhanmondi 32 on Monday morning.

Cry of the deprived

Rakib Hossain, former program and planning affairs secretary of the central committee and spokesperson of deprived faction, said: “Those who have sweated to strengthen the hands of the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have been excluded from the committee. The assurances given to us have not been implemented yet."

Terming the tribute as a humiliation of Bangabandhu, the former Chhatra League member said: "Chhatra League’s president and general secretary want to place wreaths and pay tribute to the Father of the Nation, despite all the controversies surrounding them.

"If these controversial individuals are able to pay tribute once, they will immediately be recognized with their new organization designation. It is our tradition to pay tribute to Bangabandhu before taking charge."

A total of 16 new Chhatra League leaders were issued show-cause notices on May 15, following Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s directives of dropping controversial men from the organization, and gave them 24 hours. But it has been 10 days and there has yet to be any decision made in this regard.

Chhatra League top-brass responds

When contacted, Chhatra League General Secretary Golam Rabbani said: "The complaints are being scrutinized. We will remove the controversial ones from Chhatra League before Eid so that those who are deserving can be here."

Previously, Rabbani said, eight among 16 had submitted their proofs in response to the allegations made against them, and they have given these men more time, as the organization does not want anybody who is innocent to suffer.

A look back

On May 19, following the attack upon them twice by other Chhatra League leaders, Chhatra League's deprived faction had gone on a hunger strike first, then staged a sit-in.

The deprived faction called off their earlier sit-in program later the same night, as Awami League top-brass leaders had given them assurances of: meeting with the premier; fair trial for the attacks at Modhur Canteen and Teacher-Student Centre (TSC); and removal of controversial leaders from the central committee upon further investigatio, and replacing them with dedicated leaders who were deprived from posts.

On May 20, Chhatra League expelled one of its activists and suspended four others over clashes centering the newly announced full-fledged committee.

Chhatra League announced its 301-member full-fledged central committee on May 13, a year after its National Council was held.

Around 15 were left injured due to the internal clash centring on the new committee.