Previously on Wednesday, Chhatra League President Rezwanul Haque Chowdhury Shovon, and General Secretary Golam Rabbani said, they would take action against the controversial leaders within 24 hours
Bangladesh Chhatra League, the student wing of the ruling Awami League, is yet to take any action against the alleged controversial leaders, although 24 hours have passed since the party announced dropping them from the central committee.
Previously on Wednesday, Chhatra League President Rezwanul Haque Chowdhury Shovon, and General Secretary Golam Rabbani said, they would take action against the controversial leaders within 24 hours, while speaking at a press conference.
Upon disclosing the names of 16 leaders, Rabbani said they were taking time to scrutinize the allegations brought against them.
He stated: “Initially we got the names from media reports, and social media posts. Allegations against them included: being married, being accused in criminal cases, and holding anti-liberation sentiment.
“We will vacate all those posts if the allegations are found to be true, and replace them with other leaders who did not get a post in the committee,” he added.
During a meeting at the Gono Bhaban on the same day, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina directed the Chhatra League president to drop the controversial leaders from the central committee if the allegations against them were found to be true.
Speaking to the Dhaka Tribune, General Secretary Rabbani said: “Eight of those leaders have already submitted proof of their innocence. Rest of the leaders also told us they would submit documents to prove that the allegations brought against them are false.”
He said the Awami League top brass had asked them to ensure no innocent leader is dropped from the committee.
“As per the organization’s rules, one has to file a written complaint against a member, but no one has done so yet. Still, we are scrutinizing the allegations that surfaced on social media,” Rabbani added.
However, Saif Babu, former publication affairs secretary of the central committee demanded the accused leaders should release the proof to the public.
“We will meet the Awami League leaders, and ask why they are not taking any action although 48 hours have passed,” he added.
Leaders allegedly not cooperating with probe body
A probe body was formed on Tuesday, to investigate the chaos, and violence that broke out between different factions of the Chhatra League at Dhaka University’s Madhur Canteen, following the announcement of the 301-member central committee on Monday.
Among the leaders who were not selected, and those who demanded more vital posts in the committee, 15 were injured in the incident.
The three-member body was ordered to submit a report within 48 hours.
Chhatra League General Secretary Golam Rabbani said, the leaders who claimed to have been deprived were not cooperating with the probe committee.
He said: “We will speak to the probe body at 10pm today [Saturday]. If they [deprived leaders] do not cooperate, we will publish the report tomorrow [Sunday].”
A member of the probe body said that they were almost done with the investigation, and would recommend expelling about five Chhatra League members.
However, Saif Babu, spokesperson for the deprived leaders, denied being uncooperative, saying that no one from the probe body had reached out to them yet.