• Tuesday, Jun 18, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:50 am

Rizvi: Govt conspiring to remove Zia’s grave from JS complex

  • Published at 04:13 pm December 5th, 2016
  • Last updated at 06:56 pm December 5th, 2016
Rizvi: Govt conspiring to remove Zia’s grave from JS complex
Ruhul Kabir Rizvi, BNP senior joint secretary general, made the comment at a press briefing in the capital’s Naya Paltan party office on Monday. Last year, Housing and Public Works Minister Mosharraf Hossain said all the graves within the parliament complex would be relocated once the government had received the original design from the archive of University of Pennsylvania in the US. The building, constructed over 20 years and finally opened in 1982, was designed by world famous architect, Louis I Kahn. The graves of Zia and six others are situated within the site. The government has already built the residences of speaker and deputy speaker, Bangabandhu International Conference Centre, educational institutions, NAM Building, Rapid Action Battalion office and other important establishments within the Sangsad Bhaban complex, and these were not built according to the original design received by the government last week, said Rizvi. “Experts have said it is not possible to implement the original design of Louis I Kahn, but the government is set to implement it to relocate the grave of Ziaur Rahman from the area," said Rizvi. "People will not let the government implement this blueprint.” On the National City Corporation polls to be held on December 22, Rizvi urged the voters to remain alert so that no vote rigging could be made. He also hoped that the Election Commission would play a proactive role in holding free and fair polls.