• Friday, Jun 25, 2021
  • Last Update : 05:54 am

Massive fire in Tongi jhut warehouse

  • Published at 11:00 am June 11th, 2021
Firefighters Tongi jhut warehouse 10 June 2021
Firefighters fight to bring a massive fire at the jhut warehouse of Olympia Textill Mill under control in Tongi, Gazipur on Thursday, June 10, 2021 Dhaka Tribune

Seven units of firefighters work for nearly seven hours to bring the blaze under control, 3 hurt in the process

A fire broke out in a warehouse of jhut - fabric scraps left over from ready-made garment factories - in Tongi, Gazipur late on Thursday, engulfing four storage facilities and burning everything to ashes.

It took seven units of firefighters - three from Tongi station of the Fire Service and Civil Defence, three from Dhaka Zone 3 and three from Uttara - nearly seven hours of efforts to bring the fire under control.

The fire broke out at around 9pm at the warehouse located inside the premises of Olympia Textile Mill, in Tongi’s Millgate area, said Iqbal Hossain, senior station officer at Tongi fire station.

“They brought the fire under control at around 4:30am today [Friday],” he added.

At least three people were injured during the process. They are given treatment at Shaheed Ahsanullah Master General Hospital in Tongi.

Piles of jhut - fabric scraps - burn in a fire in the storage facility of Olympia Textile Mill in Tongi, Gazipur on Thursday, June 10, 2021 | Dhaka Tribune

The cause behind the fire and the extent of losses due to the incident are not confirmed yet. But a local jhut trader estimates the losses to be worth as much as Tk5 crore.

Speaking to Dhaka Tribune, jhut dealer Sabuj, who owned the jhut warehouse said, the fire broke out in four of his tin-shade storage units at around 9pm on Thursday, and quickly engulfed three more storage units nearby.

The warehouse had been stocked with fresh lots of jhut earlier on Thursday evening, he said.

He said he suspected the fire might have been caused by cigarettes dropped by day labourers or a mosquito repellent coil.

“Everything is burnt to the ground,” Sabuj said. “The fire has caused a loss of around Tk5 crore.”

Senior Station Officer in Tongi Iqbal Hossain said the fire had yet to be fully doused as of 9am Friday.

52
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail